Thursday, August 6, 2026

Book Birthday Blog with Pria Dee

 

Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!

Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.

 

Congratulations to Pria Dee on the release of Me & My Long, Long Hair

 

 

How did you come up with the idea for your book?

Me and My Long, Long Hair is a heartwarming story that is inspired by my own journey! When I first set foot in the USA from India, my incredibly long hair became both a source of pride and a challenge as I navigated the complexities of American fashion. One pivotal moment came when a colleague shared his sister's courageous battle with cancer. Moved by their story, I decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love.  
 
Having lost loved ones to the disease, cancer awareness has remained close to my heart. My daughter, who followed in my footsteps and donated her beautiful hair,  encouraged me to raise awareness, and Sita’s story was born. It’s a story about the importance of community, kindness, and hope. 
 

What was the most difficult part about writing the book? 

Crafting a story that resonates with a young audience, especially when addressing a sensitive topic like childhood cancer, is not easy. I sought the perspectives of several young readers to beta-read my draft, and their invaluable feedback helped me refine the narrative. This story holds immense significance for me, as I’ve experienced the loss of loved ones to cancer. Because of this connection, I was particularly diligent about ensuring the illustrations captured the emotion and essence of the story. It took multiple revisions, guided by the insights of my editor and reviewers, to achieve the right balance, and I’m grateful for their support in this heartfelt journey. 

What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book? 

Here are a few messages I hope the book imparts;
 
Embrace Your Authentic Self: Be proud of who you are inside and out. In a world influenced by social media trends, we must remember that true beauty comes from authenticity.
 
The Power of Small Acts: Even the smallest gesture, like a smile, can make a significant difference. Our kindness can uplift others and enrich our own lives.
 
Cultivating Compassion: Let’s avoid judging others. Everyone faces unseen struggles, so let’s approach one another with empathy and understanding.
 
I hope my young readers will learn to celebrate everyone’s uniqueness, practice kindness, and create a compassionate community together. 

What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it? 

I'm excited to share that Me and My Long, Long Hair is now available on Amazon and IngramSpark! The feedback has been incredibly positive, with great reviews from Kirkus, BookLife, and Midwest Book Review, and I even received a “Get It” Award from Kirkus! 
 
To generate more excitement, I’ve scheduled a Goodreads giveaway for the Kindle version, which I hope will encourage readers to share their thoughts and experiences.
 
I’m also planning to drop off free copies at local libraries, bookstores, and school libraries. It’s wonderful to connect with my community, and I’ve been working hard to grow my social media following. It can be a bit of a challenge, but it’s all part of the journey!
 
I can't wait to attend various book events to spread the word and share my passion for storytelling.

My book launch will be at Correanders bookshop at Gross Pointe on Sunday August 23rd at 2.30 pm. 

On top of that, I’ll be joining the “Walk for Childhood Cancer” for St. Jude’s on August 29, 2026, in Royal Oak, MI! I’ve formed my own team and would love for friends and family to join me in this effort to raise awareness for childhood cancer. 

What's next for you?

I'm currently busy with a lyrical bedtime book that celebrates the breathtaking beauty of Nature in Michigan! 
 
I've also sent out several manuscripts for critique, including a whimsical fairytale retelling that I can’t wait to bring to life. 

On top of that, I'm cooking up a couple of fun projects: a circular tale that’s sure to captivate and a book that explores a world of possibilities! 
 
A couple of middle grade novel ideas have taken root in my brain, and I can feel them growing. One has the elements of a fantasy series, and another a historical mystery series.  I can't wait to see where they take me! 

More about the book . . .

When Sita starts at her new school, she wishes she could blend in. But her long, gleaming hair makes that impossible. Everyone notices it. Everyone comments on it. And Sita isn’t sure she wants to stand out at all.

With gentle encouragement from her mom, she begins to see her hair not as something that sets her apart, but as something uniquely hers. Just as she’s learning to embrace it, Sita hears a story that changes everything — a child her age is battling cancer and has lost her hair during treatment.

Suddenly, Sita’s biggest insecurity becomes the source of her greatest courage.

As she wrestles with a life‑changing decision, Sita discovers that sometimes the things we’re most self‑conscious about can become the gifts that make the world brighter.

Published by: Self

More about the author . . . 

Pria Dee is an award-winning children’s author dedicated to creating stories that celebrate individuality, empathy, and the richness of human difference. In her picture book Me & My Long, Long Hair, she explores the experience of a young girl whose hair sets her apart, offering a heartfelt message about self-acceptance, resilience, and the power of a mother’s love.

Drawing inspiration from everyday life, current events, and her vivid imagination, Pria writes stories that encourage young readers to see themselves in others while appreciating the perspectives that make each person unique. She believes children’s literature should be both meaningful and relatable, helping readers build compassion, confidence, and understanding.

Through her work, Pria Dee has established a distinctive voice in children’s literature, one grounded in warmth, cultural awareness, and emotional honesty. Her stories are crafted to inspire children to embrace who they are, connect with others, and engage thoughtfully with the world around them. 

Websites:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18001718.Pria_Dee 

https://www.priadee.com/ 

Social Media:

https://x.com/authorpriadee 

https://www.instagram.com/priadeeauthor/ 

https://www.facebook.com/priadeeauthor 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment