Friday, August 7, 2026

Author/illustrator Spotlight: Amy Nielander

Mom and me, Bologna, Blob, Detroit Month of Design, and workshops: Author/illustrator Amy Nielander

Charlie Barshaw coordinates our regular Writer Spotlight feature and interviews writers of SCBWI-MI. In this piece, meet author/illustrator Amy Nielander. 

 

[Note: the items in italics are from my research into Amy Nielander. My questions follow the italicized items.]

My mom taught me storytelling skills. As a child, I listened to her turn everyday experiences into fascinating tales. She loved to write and shared her work with me often. I remember one particular novel she was working on and how she chipped away at each chapter. Being a full-time working parent (with four kids!), sitting down was a luxury. My mom did not have blocks of time to write, so she talked through scenes when we were together (in the kitchen or the car), and “air” revised. I soaked it all up! I loved hearing her map out the big picture then zoom in on character details. My mom’s creativity stretched and curled with every world she imagined. She continued sharing her stories with me even after I graduated from college and moved away. Now, I have a hefty binder labeled “Mom’s Stories” with the manuscripts she mailed to me back then.

What a gift to have a parent sharing their writing dream, and more importantly, the patient process of writing while busy with Life. Did your mom ever succeed in getting published?

Thank you for sharing this, Charlie, and having me on the blog! Yes. I feel blessed to have had such a loving and creative mom. Unfortunately, she never found a publisher. She hoped to get published, but that wasn’t why she wrote. She truly loved writing. The act of writing comforted her. And completing a story brought her much joy.

Mom and me

Amy Nielander graduated from College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan. Before becoming an Author/Illustrator, she worked as a product designer and digital sculptor in the automotive industry.

What products did you help design? How does one sculpt digitally?

After I graduated from CCS, I worked for a mountain bike component manufacturer. One of my first projects was to design a grip cover for smaller hands. I was the only female designer in the group and they ended up calling it “Amy”, which was a big boost for a young designer (who did not do a lot of mountain biking). 

After that project, I worked on a shifter for comfort bikes along with a few other conceptual products. Those experiences led me to Germany and Taiwan where I worked closely with both engineering and manufacturing groups. I learned a lot during my time there and am grateful for the people I worked with along the way!

I became a digital sculptor after I moved back to Michigan. Digital sculptors translate sketches into digital data by creating surfaces. They use 3D modeling programs to build (sculpt) those surfaces. 

Sculpting, in this way, is far more technical than creative. Mechanical parts are usually involved and surfaces have to wrap around or sit on top of them. After surfaces are approved, that data is used to build prototypes or manufacture parts. 

Shifter
You’ve gotten three picture books published during challenging times. How many picture book drafts have you (for now) set aside? Do you “pull the plug” on projects, or is there always hope?

My agent has pitched three stories since My Name Is NOT Ed Tug, but unfortunately, they did not find a publisher. Those rejections broke my heart because I really loved the characters and believed in their stories, but it was time to move on. I’m still hopeful they’ll find a new life in the future!

This year, I participated in Storystorm for the 2nd time and shared a list of concepts with my agent. She picked her favorites and now I’m working on the first story. 

Unlike a lot of artists, your interest in illustration bloomed later in life, when you went to the College for Creative Studies. What series of events prompted you to embrace the visual arts?

Drawing has always been a big part of my life (as well as writing and reading), since childhood. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and worked as a product designer for a few years (then as a digital sculptor). 

It wasn’t until my kids were born that I began experimenting with picture books. When I was looking for ways to build a more creative and flexible career, my mom and I teamed up to submit a story she wrote for a godchild (her text, my illustrations). Sadly, we only collected rejections, but I fell in love with the process of pairing words with art.

Eventually, I learned about SCBWI and began honing that craft. After years of attending conferences, workshops, classes, submitting work and collecting rejections, I finally broke through after entering the Silent Book Contest

My story, The Ladybug Race, became a finalist and I was invited to attend the Bologna Book Fair that year. It was a surreal experience because it all happened so fast! Each finalist had their story on display which was an incredible honor. 

When I returned, I researched publishers and submitted the story for publication. Pomegranate Kids picked it up, (no longer in print now) and Terre di MezzoEditore continues to publish the Italian version.

It has been a joy to create activities for The Ladybug Race, as well as see the fun projects educators have made with their students. One of my favorite experiences was participating in a parade! We made a giant book along with ladybug wings for kids to wear. 

Tell us about The Blob Blog.

Thank you for asking, Charlie! The blog has evolved since 2014 and is now called the Create a Character blog. It’s been an exciting journey!

In a nutshell, the blog is a playful drawing practice I’ve kept (with occasional breaks) for 12 years now. It began when my kids were in elementary school. We loved drawing together, and I wanted to figure out a way for us to draw together regularly. 

So, I designed the Create a Character Activity. We used simple tools and shapes to let our imaginations run wild and created characters every week. These drawing dates added a boost of fun to our day because they were low pressure (rough sketches).

We created characters for 2.5 years together, and I posted our progress on my blog. Families (and guest artists!) were invited to join us along the way. Thank you to Michigan artists Virginia Rinkel, Heidi Woodward Sheffield, and Aaron Zenz for being the blog’s first participants! I am very thankful for everyone’s generosity and time. (Virginia and Heidi also tried the blob blog.)


In 2024, I decided to take the activity on the road. I had just released the
Create a Character Book One (which includes the first 25 activity sheets) and wondered if families could embrace drawing to deepen their connection at home (without screens).

I reached out to local libraries to host workshops the first year and refined the experience based on how both kids and adults interacted with the drawing activities. 

The second year, hosts included a senior living center and two mental health organizations. It’s been a growth experience for me (still is) but so rewarding. 

This is my third summer leading workshops, and I could not be happier with the response. When kids and adults draw alongside each other, meaningful moments sprout! From enthusiastic high-fives to questions that lead to storytelling, workshops help families engage with one another. 

A big takeaway parents/caregivers leave with is that being creative does not require a closet full of materials or mediums. A pencil and paper can go a long way! 

This little activity is taking on a whole new life. I was honored to be a speaker at the Michigan Library Association’s Spring Institute Conference this past March, where I shared my playful drawing journey. 

I also led the first large-scale Create a Character Community Activity. Youth librarians created characters together and we had a gallery displaying everyone’s collaborative designs. It was a wonderful experience. Before that event, we tested the activity at Eastern Market during Detroit Month of Design.

My hope is that drawing workshops not only bring people together but also raise awareness about the creative process. When adults and kids create characters on their own, it may deepen appreciation for the work we do as writers and illustrators.

When I came up with the idea I had just learned about the Silent Book Contest through SCBWI, specifically Ruth McNally Barshaw (forever indebted to Ruth!).  Since The Ladybug Race was a picture book that challenged genre boundaries it seemed like the perfect platform to test it out.

Wow! I’d forgotten that part. (Ruth had, too.) You were a member of SCBWI-MI for many years. Throughout the interviews, you list many instances when a conference, a critique, a chance meeting helped you along your path to publication. What has SCBWI in particular, and writing groups in general, done for you?

SCBWI helped me grow as an author illustrator when I began my writing journey. Now, I work closely with my writing group. In the past, I’ve collected valuable feedback through SCBWI conferences and pursued opportunities I learned about in forums. I’m grateful for supportive members (like Ruth!) and volunteers (like you!) who help us become the best writers/illustrators we can possibly be.

Tell us about being a Children’s Book Coach at the Detroit Writing Room. Have you helped others get published?

First, I have to shine a light on the creative force behind The Detroit Room, founder, Stephanie Steinberg. She has not only built a strong community of writers in the area, but is helping high schoolers too, through DWR’s non-profit arm Coaching Detroit Forward. Readers can learn more about that program, coaches and events on the DWR website.

Being a Children’s Book Coach has been such a rewarding experience! I work with writers at every stage of their picture book writing journey, but most clients tend to share their first draft with me. 

As a writer and illustrator, I’ve accumulated much feedback over the years, from vague (unhelpful) comments to constructive critiques. I really strive to give every writer something concrete to run with, then wrap it with encouragement! 

We’ve had two children’s book writers (that I know of) self-publish their stories: Lauren Evasic and Gerry Boylan. Gerry’s story began as a picture book, but after he learned about word count, he chose to develop a middle grade story instead (worked with a different DWR coach).

Coaching writers for the past few years has been an absolute privilege. Each story has a personal experience attached to it and I feel honored when writers share that inspiration with me. I learn a lot from them too!

                                      Gerry wrote his story, Showdown At Firefly Island, with his grandson, Eli)
 

If your publishing career has proven anything, it’s that persistence pays off. There were many years of effort before The Ladybug Race. Many more years before the publication of Grama’s Hug. And then more years until My Name is NOT Ed Tug. How do you keep going in this tough industry?

Believing that my work helps or inspires others in some small way is what keeps me going.

What’s next for Amy?

I’m working on a new picture book story I hope to submit to publishers soon. More drawing workshops are being scheduled, including an event at Michigan Central. I’m teaming up with The Detroit Writing Room to host a Parent Child Drawing Workshop there on Thursday, August 6th, 7-8pm. All caregivers and families are welcome! Lastly, thanks to a grant from Michigan Women Forward this year, I’m developing the Create a Character platform. I’ll share those updates on my blog.


 

Please list any social media you wish to share:

Website: https://www.amynielander.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/amynielander/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nielanderamy

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment