Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Book Birthday Blog With Kelsey E. Gross

 

Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!

Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.

 

Congratulations to Kelsey E. Gross on the release of Fall: A Seasons Story

 


 

How did you come up with the idea for your book?

I wanted to spend more time with the characters from Winter: A Solstice Story and Summer: A Solstice Story and imagined the gorgeous fall scenes Renata could create. Luckily, our editor agreed!  
 
The trick was coming up with an idea that would fit with the other books in the series but would also be unique. I wanted to add a new character and thought the monarch butterfly would be a great choice for the season.
 
As I started writing, I remembered a day on Lake Superior with a special friend who was around 8 years old at the time (shoutout to Lauren!). She found an injured butterfly, and together we built a comfy “home” for it using materials we found on the beach. I borrowed this idea for Fall, having the woodland creatures care for Monarch while she made a stop on her migration journey.  

What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book? 

As with the other books in the series, I hope it feels like a joyful celebration of the season. This book also emphasizes friendship – even across distance and how to take care of others. 

What inspires you to write? 

Picture books are so powerful. I’m inspired by the joy that books can bring kids, and the special moments adults and children have when they read together. It is an honor to have a small part in that. 

What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it? 

I’ll be leading storytimes and doing book signings at a few fall festivals, and will visit bookstores, libraries and schools. I’m working on a hike and fall storytime with a local organization near my home in the U.P., which will be lovely.

What's next for you? 

We will finish the series with Spring: A Seasons Story in spring 2028, also illustrated by Renata Liwska. Get ready for another (adorable) new character and some sweet spring scenes!

More about the book . . . 

Fall is here, and so is a new friend! Monarch is making her way south before winter arrives, and she needs a safe place to rest. Owl, Mouse, Duck, Rabbit, Squirrel, Chickadee, and Raccoon are ready to lend a helping hand. Soon it’s time for Monarch to continue on her journey, but first a celebration of the season reminds everyone that even when things change, the friends will always have each other.

Published by: Beach Lane/Simon & Schuster 

More about the author . . . 

Kelsey E. Gross aims to write books that inspire readers to care for each other and the natural world. She is the author of Winter: A Solstice Story, Summer: A Solstice Story, Fall: A Seasons Story, and the forthcoming Spring: A Seasons Story, all illustrated by Renata Liwska (Paula Wiseman/Beach Lane, Simon & Schuster). When she’s not writing, you can find her skiing or biking through the woods near her home in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Find her online at https://kelseyegross.com/

Instagram: @kelseyegross

Bluesky: @kelseyegross.bsky.social

 


 

 

2 comments:

  1. This book looks lovely! the monarch butterfly is so pretty and fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing all the beautiful illustrations. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Kelsey. You book looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete