Tuesday, February 8, 2022

On the Shelf by Tara Michener: Why Am I Here? A Child's Book About Purpose

 

Kids are often asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” “What will you accomplish?” is essentially the theme of this typical question. I hear this and think that it is interesting that kids are asked what they will do so often but not always given the opportunity to talk about what they love. What about, “What makes you happy?” or “What is your purpose?” They are often asked about the future but not always given the chance to talk about what they are up to now and how that adds to our world.


 

I loved Naomi V. Dunsen-White's book, Why Am I Here? A Child's Book About Purpose (ill. by Megan Rizzo; Naomi Books, LLC, 2021), which was awarded a place on the Pre-K–4th grade 2021 Best of the Best Booklist of the Black Caucus of the American Library Association. This book sets the stage for kids to embrace their imagination and to love the process of discovery.

 

My personal little kid focus group consists of my eight-year-old, Cannon. As soon as Cannon saw the lovely cover, he said, “Is that for me?” with glee and anticipation. We try not to judge books by their covers in my home, but Cannon loved it from the moment that he saw it.

 

The book's energy suggests it is okay to sit and think about you. It is okay to let your imagination run free. I dreaded the times as a child (and as a grownup) when I was scolded for having creativity and imagination and thoughts considering my purpose or changing the world.

 

I am grateful that Naomi gives the reader the opportunity to go beyond what is basic and to take it to the next level. Kids are not just encouraged to have a career, although that is in there too. I would say that it is more than that, though. Kids are asked to consider the concept of supporting others, loving others, being united, and so much more. This book takes that question of "What will you be when you grow up?" to a more tangible, introspective, and vital place.

 

Although this book is not at all about fitting in...it might fit in really nicely on your bookshelf.   


Tara Michener is the author of six children's books that focus on self-esteem, diversity and anti-bullying. She is a TEDx speaker, therapist and owns her own private practice in Novi, MI. Tara has been recognized in publications such as Prevention Magazine, Essence Magazine, FREEP and more! She is the Committee Chair of E&I at SCBWI-MI. Her favorite days usually include spending time with her hubistrator, Jason, her son Cannon and her favorite snack Twizzlers and Diet Coke. You can follow her on Twitter @Taramichener. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, and Cannon, for your impressions of Why Am I Here? A Child's Book About Purpose. Appreciating this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this book with us! Anything that encourages kids (and adults!) to be present and to appreciate what they have to offer in any given moment is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, timely read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing us to Naomi's book, and I love how this branches off in such a thoughtful way from the common "What do you want to be when you grow up" question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, Tara! I look forward to checking this out at my library.

    ReplyDelete