Friday, February 11, 2022

It Starts with Hello with Jean Alicia Elster


 “Hello!”

Three years ago, one of the initial tasks I undertook as the first Equity and Inclusion Committee Chair for SCBWI-MI was to get a sense of the interests and needs among our members through informal interviews. I contacted a few people and asked them to identify and share their perspective on what they thought were key issues. The importance of being made to feel welcomed as a new SCBWI member came to the forefront. Jean shared her thoughts on how she felt when someone took the time to say, “Hello,” at the first two SCBWI-MI conferences she attended. Today, she shares a poignant personal story with us.

New members may often feel like strangers and left to wonder if they really belong. Fortunately, as Jean relates and so many other members will attest, our SCBWI-Michigan members can and do take steps to welcome all to our community.

Jean’s broaching of this topic a few years back and subsequent conversations with others inspired me to start this series. We can learn to do better when we walk a mile in someone’s shoes through story and Jean has given us all a gift with hers. 

We’ll continue to share these personal stories of support with your help. Send your “It Starts with Hello,” submission, 300-words or less, to Isabel Estrada O’Hagin at: ohaginib@gmail.com. I look forward to receiving them!

Thank you, Jean, for sharing your story!

Warmly,

Isabel Estrada O’Hagin

Outreach Coordinator 


Let me begin by saying that there are now many members of the SCBWI Michigan chapter that I consider my dear author buddies. However almost 20 years ago, as a new member, I could not have imagined making that statement.

Yes, it was just under two decades ago that I attended my first Michigan chapter conferences. They were one-day events. Both times, when I arrived, I began to do what I normally do when I am at an event and I don’t know anyone: I walked around, smiled, and tried to make eye-contact. Folks just looked away. I said, "Hello," to people at the coffee table who were not engaged with others in conversations.  Nothing happened. I couldn’t connect with anyone. The vibe was decidedly cold and unwelcoming.  

At lunchtime, everyone rushed off to their tables. I looked around for an empty chair at a table and could not find one. There was an empty table so I sat down, ready to enjoy my lunch and keep myself company.

Then someone came up to me and said, “Hi, I’m Shutta Crum. Will you join us at my table?”  I was stunned. I looked over to where she gestured, and her table was full. I mentioned that fact. She grabbed my chair and asked one of the attendees to scoot over. “Now there’s room,” she said.

At the second event, something similar happened when Nancy Shaw saw me sitting by myself in the auditorium and sat next to me. She introduced herself and struck up a conversation.

Both of these SCBWI-MI members went out of their way to make a stranger to the organization feel welcome. And it is because of them that I stayed connected to this chapter. I am grateful for their kindness and count them as friends to this day.

 

You can follow Jean online:

Instagram: @jeanaliciaelster

Twitter: @j_a_elster 

Facebook: Jean Alicia Elster Books

Pinterest: @jelsterwrites


 


5 comments:

  1. Oh Jean! I'm so sorry you encountered such unwelcoming circumstances! YOU welcomed me to my first one-day event in Detroit! I was already shaken about finding the location and not knowing anyone, and wondering if I was in over my head,... - and YOU offered your gentle welcome and warm smile and company! Thank you! We are all 'new' somewhere, sometime, and we need to remember the feeling and extend the MichKids welcome personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for those who go the extra distance to make connections and welcome others! I too have been in that awkward position of sitting at a table by myself, hoping someone else will join me. Jean Alicia, I think I attended my first conference not long after you, but it was also Shutta who welcomed me during her Summer Schmooze at her house. She not only greeted me, but introduced me to others, and new friendships grew from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkable that two of the stellar performers in SCBWI-MI are also two of the kindest, most compassionate human beings. It is my privilege to know both Shutta and Nancy, and they are friends I admire and look up to. And I count Jean as a friend, too. I bought her truly extraordinary book, The Colored Car, then bought the first book of the series, Who's Jim Hines? I rejoiced when the third book in her trilogy was published recently, How It Happens. Hooray for the persistent and talented Ms.Elster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean Alicia, this broke my heart as a friend and a member of our SCBWI-MI community. I'm sorry. Thank you for sharing your experience and being willing to try again all those years ago! You've played an important role in building our community and I take a little comfort in knowing we are working to do better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you again for your willingness and courage to share your experiences, Jean.

    ReplyDelete