Friday, March 20, 2020

Interview with Nonfiction Mentor Stephanie Bearce, and Free Educational Resources for Teachers, Parents, and Students


SCBWI-MI is holding two nonfiction mentorships this year. One is for nonfiction picture books
with mentor Patricia Newman and the other is for nonfiction middle grade and young adult
books with Stephanie Bearce.

Complete submission instructions are on the mentorship page of the website.

The submission window for both mentorships is May 5-26.

For questions, contact SCBWI-MI mentorship coordinator Ann Finkelstein.

Today we have an interview with nonfiction MG/YA mentor, Stephanie Bearce. Stephanie is a
history detective and a science nerd who loves turning her discoveries into books for kids. She is
the award-winning author of over 25 children’s books, including the Twisted True Tales from
Science series and the Top Secret Files from History series. Stephanie is a frequent presenter at education conferences, children’s literature festivals, nerd camps, schools, and libraries. She is
the winner of the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award, the SCBWI Work in Progress Grant, the Clare
Vanderpool Work of Promise Award. Her books have been selected for the NSTA (National
Science Teachers Association) Recommended Reading List.


What do you like best about writing nonfiction?
I love the detective work. Writing nonfiction stories means you have to search for the facts. It’s a lot like a detective solving a mystery. I get a clue about what might be an interesting story, but I must research to find all the facts. I dig through newspapers, laboratory notes, books, diaries – whatever it takes to find the real facts. I spend lots and lots of time reading.

What do you like least?
I hate it when I find out a lead is false, and a great story is just a fake.

Describe a typical writing day.
Mornings are usually spent answering emails and keeping up with correspondence. Then it depends on where I am with a project. If I am in the research stages, I spend time reading, contacting libraries, doing interviews, or locating other primary sources. If the research is done, then I am in writing mode and I am glued to my computer. In between I spend time meeting with my critique partners to get feedback and make revisions. No two days are the same. Sometimes I am sitting in my office, and other days I am watching wolves, or delving into museum archives.

Which of your books was the most fun to write? Why?
I love research, so my current project is always my favorite. Right now, I am researching wolves and Victorian spiritualism. I work on multiple projects at the same time, so I am never bored.

When you’re reading for pleasure, what features of a book typically impress you the most?
I love a great adventure, so I am a sucker for great plots. I love mysteries with a twist and unexpected endings. So, I guess I like my fiction the same way I like my nonfiction – strange and a little twisted.


What brings you joy?
My family, my faith, and my friends. Writing is what I do, and I enjoy it, but it is not who I am.

What inspires you?
Untold stories of history, lost heroes, amazing scientific discoveries, and black holes.


If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I have been blessed to travel a great deal, but I would really love to travel to Egypt and see the pyramids.

What aspects of being a nonfiction mentor are you most looking forward to?
I love working with people and helping them develop their potential. It will be fun to exchange ideas, and I know I will learn as much from any mentor as they will from me. Forging new relationships and networking is an essential part of a healthy writing career.

Can you tell us about any upcoming projects?
I’m working on several projects. I always work on more than one idea at a time and they are all in various stages of development. I am researching polio, wolves, spiritualism, toilets, funeral homes, and black soldier flies. Who knows what I will discover tomorrow?


Ann Finkelstein writes YA novels and coordinates the SCBWI-MI mentorship program. Please contact her via email for questions about the mentorship.










Our hearts go out to everyone as we all cope with the COVID-19 pandemic and the evolving ripples of disruptions and challenges across the world. Our SCBWI-MI community has been busy gathering educational resources for teachers, parents, and students as they make the switch to homeschooling or distance learning. We are pleased to offer you a variety of fun learning activities that you can download, watch, or print for free. Visit often as the list will grow. Follow this link to find activities for all ages, Pre-K-12th grade: https://michigan.scbwi.org/2020/03/18/scbwi-michigan-educational-resources/

https://michigan.scbwi.org/2020/03/18/scbwi-michigan-educational-resources/


2 comments:

  1. Great interview Ann! I enjoyed reading about Stephanie Bearce and how she works on multiple projects at once. Her approach in working like a detective is interesting and I hope she gets to Egypt someday. Thank you for your words during thie COVID-19 and your listing of all the SCBWI-MI Educational Resources. We all need this, as we 'hunker-down' for another three weeks (at least). I'm sure glad the sun is shining longer and the earth is warming a bit more each day. These two aspects take on new meaning each day during this time of stress. Thanks again for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this. I happened to sit next to Stephanie at the Chicago conference many years ago and I had no idea who she was at the time. She told me how many books she had written and continued to answer the many, many questions I had for her. She is a gem and this is such a wonderful opportunity. Thank you Ann and Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete