Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Book Birthday Blog With Natalia Iacobelli

 

Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!

Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.

 

Congratulations to Natalia Iacobelli on the release of Painting the Light

 

 


 

How did you come up with the idea for your book? 

Berthe Morisot began taking up residence in my imagination as a possible children’s book idea about six years ago. My children were very young, and I became enamored with the picture book biography art form—the interplay between text and image, that synergy between words and art. My background is in art history, and I went looking for a picture book about Morisot to read to my kids. When I discovered that it didn’t exist, I took it upon myself to write the book! The story was already pulsing with life—it was just waiting to be told.

What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book? 

My hope for the book is that it continues the conversation sparked by Linda Nochlin's 1971 question: "Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?" I want to get people thinking, and asking themselves why Morisot, one of the founders of Impressionism, has been left out of the narrative, while artists like Monet, Renoir, and Degas are so well known. I also hope Morisot’s personal story of resilience manages to strike a hopeful chord with young readers, reminding them that setbacks can be overcome with determination, courage, and persistence. 

What was the most difficult part of writing this book? 

The most difficult part was two-fold. First, it was telling Morisot’s extraordinary life story in the digestible format of a book for children. There were so many details I had to chisel out to get to the heart of the story and craft a compelling narrative in sparse but beautiful prose. Second, it was finding the throughline for telling her story. My first few iterations, which described her life story without a strong underlying theme, fell flat. It was only after threading through the motif of light that this sort of alchemy took place.  

What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it? 

I plan to promote the book through a combination of outreach to bookstores and libraries, as well as engagement with communities interested in art history and women artists. I’ll also be sharing it through interviews, social media, and reader communities. The book can be found in independent bookstores, major online retailers, library systems—and hopefully in museum gift shops! 

What's next for you? 

I just signed a contract for another picture book, introducing a little-known slice of history, with another wonderful publisher. I couldn’t be more excited to tell this incredible story! 

More about the book . . . 

Ever since she was little, Berthe Morisot chased light. She found it in keyholes and flower petals, shimmering fabric and rustling leaves, and her dream was to paint it all. Living in Paris, Berthe was trained to copy the style of Old Masters and stay inside the lines. And more importantly, she was told respectable women could not become professional painters. The more Berthe painted, the more she yearned for the light that inspired her. One day, she met a group of rebel artists who, like her, were tired of art's rigid rules. Together, they led a movement, and Berthe shone a light on women's lives through art in ways no one had before. This powerful untold story details the life and legacy of the only female founder of Impressionism. 

Published by: Reycraft Books 

More about the author . . . 

Natalia Iacobelli is an author and translator with a passion for uncovering the overlooked stories of historical figures—especially women who made history with a paintbrush. She works with museums and galleries worldwide to bring art to life for international audiences. She holds degrees in art history and Italian literature and enjoys crafting picture books that bring real-life stories to young readers. She lives in Detroit, Michigan with her husband and three children. 

Instagram: @nataliaiacobellibooks

Bluesky: @nataliaiacobelli.bsky.social

X: @nataliaico

 


 

 

3 comments:

  1. Natalia, thank you for bringing Morisot’s life and courage, as well as her artwork, into the light. What an inspiration she is for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your beautiful book, Natalia. I've already put it on my Goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete