Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!
Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.
Congratulations to Kate Rietema on the release of Little Stable, Holy Night
How did you come up with the idea for your book?
Little Stable, Holy Night was inspired by our family’s love of hospitality. Many years ago, we decided to make room for others by becoming a foster home. In a way, I’ve always thought of our house like a personified character—opening her doors to others. With this image in mind, I thought, what if I wrote the Christmas story from the perspective of the stable? Sharing our home has always felt like special work, and I wondered if the stable would’ve felt the same as she welcomed animals, visitors, and baby Jesus.
What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book?
In this story, the stable offers the invitation of “Come,” which points towards Jesus’ invitation to each of us. I want readers to feel that warm invitation, and then be inspired to extend that invitation to others—with open arms and open doors—just like Little Stable.
What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it?
You can find my book on Amazon or B&N, ask for it at your local bookstore, or request a copy from your library.
Working with the wonderful marketing team at Paraclete Press, we created an activity pack and educator guide available on my website at https://www.katerietema.com/. There will be story time events at a couple of my favorite book stores, including Baker Book House in Grand Rapids on December 5—so consider yourself invited, I’d love to meet you! I also have a handful of school visits on the calendar.
What's next for you?
In January of 2027, Paraclete Press will release the partner book for Little Stable, Holy Night called Holy Morning, Little Tomb, which is the Easter story told from the perspective of Jesus’ tomb.
I also have an unannounced poetry book and unannounced board book series that will hit shelves in 2027 and 2028, respectively.
More about the book . . .
One evening, as a star rises high in the lavender sky, Little Stable feels cold and empty. She invites more and more animals and visitors to curl up in her shelter, but it still feels like someone is missing. When she hears the cry of a baby, Little Stable knows that He is the one she’s been waiting for.
Published By: Paraclete Press
More about the author . . .
Kate Rietema is the author of several children’s books including When God Makes Scribbles Beautiful and All the Babies: A First Book About Adoption. Kate also loves writing for magazines—she’s a regular contributor for Highlights High Five, and has nearly 100 articles, poems, and stories in a wide variety of print publications. When she’s not writing, Kate works as a labor/delivery nurse, hikes with her dog, and reads to her kids. She lives with her husband and five daughters in a happy red house in Michigan.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/paracletebooksforkids/, https://www.instagram.com/paracletepress/, https://www.instagram.com/katerietema/, https://www.instagram.com/bbbbruno_art/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paracletepress, https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKateRietema
Website: https://www.katerietema.com/



Katie! Congratulations to you! What a wonderful approach to the Christmas Story, eliciting empathy and exemplifying charity! And you are certainly doing the same thing in your own life, opening your home and caring for others! I look forward to reading your work!
ReplyDelete