Friday, June 7, 2024

Meet Penelope Dullaghan, the Illustration Mentor for 2025

By Jay Whistler

I’m sure many of you have been wondering about the mentorship, which we usually begin promoting in the spring, with registration in June. Have no fear, the mentorship is still on! But we’ve been working on revamping it, making it even better. While there will be more information on the website soon, here’s the gist: 


  • The same one-on-one mentorship we’ve always had

  • The same detailed feedback from judges we’ve always had

  • A new timeline–the whole thing in the same calendar year

  • New perks for the winner and the first- and second-runners up

  • Registration begins January 2, 2025

  • Winner announced at the end of March, 2025

  • Mentorship begins April 1, 2025 and ends November 22, 2025


Penelope Dullaghan
Our 2025 Mentorship will be for illustrators, and our mentor will be Penelope Dullaghan, illustrator of over a dozen picture books, plus middle grade, YA, and adult book covers. If you’re interested in applying for the Mentorship, consider registering for our upcoming Summer Camp intensive with Kaz Windness to help you whip your picture book storyboard into shape! And be sure to check our mentorship website pages often. We’ll be posting new information throughout the summer, including submission instructions, FAQs, registration information, relevant webinars, and the full mentorship schedule. 



Now, meet your mentor!


How did you get started as an illustrator?

I started my career working as an advertising art director. I often hired illustrators to work on campaigns with me, and I loved the creativity and vision they brought to the work! It was then that I realized I’d rather be doing the art than directing the art. So I started doing loads of illustration, built up a portfolio, quit my job, and became a full time illustrator. At the time it felt like a brave (scary!) thing to do. Looking back now, I’m so glad I found the courage to make that leap - I’ve been working as a freelance illustrator now for 20 years and love it.

What do you like best about illustration? What do you like least?

I enjoy the freedom most. I can be selective about the work I take on (ensuring it aligns with my values and schedule), and when I work on it (if I get on a roll, I can work all day long until the energy wanes). I also love the freedom to work from anywhere. The flexibility of being an illustrator really suits me.


The thing I like least is dealing with the contracts and compensation. But luckily I have a rep who handles the bulk of this for me.


Describe a typical day illustrating, or what does a typical day look like versus how you wish it looked?

My day begins early. I like to get up before the sun and practice yoga, meditate, read, journal, and go for a walk to get myself clear. When my mind and body feel spacious, work comes easily, so these practices are a non-negotiable for me. Then I put my devices on focus-mode and get to work on the project at hand. I work until I feel like I’m no longer tapped in and doing my best work, and then I stop. Lastly, I tidy my studio so the next day, everything is in its place and ready to roll when I am. 


How would you describe your illustration style? Your mentoring style?

My style is guided by simplicity, color, and joy. I enjoy getting curious about the magic of the idea and trying to convey that magic visually.


My mentoring style is shaped by the person I’m working with. Everyone is different, so I like to meet people where they are, celebrating what feels good to them, and working with them to improve the parts that feel more difficult. I enjoy looking at all aspects of life and optimizing each one so that clear, strong work is inevitable. I believe everything we do, see, read, and talk about - all of it - shapes what we create.

Which of your books was the most fun to illustrate? Why?

Hmm. This one is tough because I’ve enjoyed all my books! If I had to choose, I think “Thank You, Day” was my very favorite though, because I gave myself strict color parameters and it was fun working within that limitation.


When you’re reading for pleasure, what illustration features typically impress you the most?

I really like illustration that makes me look at the world differently or that opens me up to the magic of everyday life.


What brings you joy?
Everything! The way the sunlight filters through the windows differently in each season. Feeling the warm, sudsy water as I wash the dishes. Breaking a sweat while hiking with my dog. Browsing at the library or a used bookstore with nothing particular in mind, waiting for a new book to introduce itself. Laughing with my teenager. Basically, I feel joy when I’m open to what is actually happening - it feels like a sweet buoyancy in my heart. 


What inspires you?
Walking. Long, solo walks when you can allow your mind to wander - this usually leads to new thoughts and ideas. Also right now, I’m particularly inspired by my family. My teen, Veda, creates constantly - trying stuff, testing new ideas, experimenting with formats and mediums, and working as bravely as I’ve ever seen anyone work. And my writer husband, Colin. He is on top of his game at work, connecting ideas and writing with calm, kindness, and clarity. It really inspires me to be brave, be kind, and be open.


If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

This question is way too hard. I’d like to go everywhere and see all the things!


If you could have dinner with any person throughout history who would it be? What would you discuss?

Another question asking me to narrow down to one… These are tough! I’d love to spend time and talk with so many people - Marcus Aurelius, Thich Nhat Hahn, Rick Rubin, Georgia O’Keefe, Paul Klee, Modigliani, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr., Buddha, Henry David Thoreau. If I had to choose one person, though, I think I’d most like to have dinner with author, psychotherapist, and Buddhist teacher Sylvia Boorstein. Her words and ways of being have influenced my life so much, and I’d just like to sit with her and listen to her stories and hear her infamous giggle.


How do you feel your mentorship is likely to help an emerging illustrator?
My hope is that I can help an emerging illustrator feel confident in their choices, clear in their vision, and centered in their own work.


Can you tell us about any upcoming projects? (Or, if you want to keep things close to the vest for any reason, perhaps you can share about a project you've always wanted to do or a project you wish you had worked on.)

Right now I’m working with the Indiana State Museum on a project called “Good Night Forest.” It’s all about nocturnal life in the woods. So I get to create a world of stars and moons, creatures with bright, glowing eyes, and delights that will spark a kid’s imagination about what happens after dark! It’s super fun!

 


Jay Whistler (she/her) is the SCBWI-MI Mentorship coordinator. She writes picture books, middle grade, YA, and short stories. She is a rabid fan of the Oxford comma, an avowed grammar nerd, and suffers from tsundoku (but is it really suffering? She thinks not.) You can learn more about Jay here.

3 comments:

  1. Penelope, thanks for telling us about your process and your art. Jay, it sounds like another fantastic mentorship. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos all around! Jay and RA/IC team, you've knocked it out of the park on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful opportunity from our Michigan chapter. Good luck to everyone planning to enter!

    ReplyDelete