Friday, February 23, 2024

Attending a Multi-State Conference by Dave Stricklen

Hi, Dave Stricklen here, former SCBWI-MI Indie Coordinator, Grand Rapids Shop Talk Coordinator, and overall Michigan Shop Talk Coordinator. I’m here to talk about the upcoming multi-state Marvelous Midwest conference in Davenport, Iowa on April 12 through April 14. Many of you have already registered, have your hotel and are looking forward to it. I suspect there is also a large number who are on the fence as to whether the time and expense justify what you will get out of it.

 

I have attended several of these conferences and the popular saying is that this is a way for us to enjoy a large conference similar to the national conferences in New York and LA, without the long travel distance. Allow me to share my own experience and perhaps you can fall on one side of the fence or the other. My first multi-state conference was in Ft .Wayne. I was honestly overwhelmed by the number of attendees and the maze of classes on topics that I knew nothing about. So much to learn… 

 


Dave at the "carnival" at the multi-state
conference in Naperville, Illinois
Above and beyond the learning experience was interacting with fellow creative people. I came from a law enforcement management background. I was the lone outside the box creative thinker. Suddenly with this group, I was thrown in with people with like minds. Coming from a sports background, I am also very competitive. However, in this instance, I learned very quickly that we are all on the same team. Each of us make the other better…. we are truly much stronger together.  

 


I found the entire experience to be empowering. You cannot underestimate the power of like minds coming together. The conference is a gold mine of inspiration, thoughts and ideas. When we are inspired, we can run with our passion for new concepts or ideas and build on them.

 

In our new world of zoom, a face-to-face meeting has greatly increased in value. Yes, there are advantages to zoom in connecting people from vast distances. However, nothing can take the place of sitting down and having a conversation with other writers. 

 

Friendships are built from face-to-face interaction. I am the same guy who walked into my first conference somewhat overwhelmed. Conferences have made me part of the SCBWI writer community. I have made many lifelong friends, all of whom I met face to face sharing a cup of coffee and a funny story (writers are the best storytellers). Zoom may have kept us together, but it’s time to see each other person to person and shore up our creative relationships. The value of getting writers together in the same room cannot be understated. I always leave with my creative batteries fully recharged.

 

For more about the Marvelous Midwest Conference April 12-14, click here: https://www.scbwi.org/events/marvelous-midwest

 




10 comments:

  1. I echo all of these sentiments, Dave! I also LOVE the pics! I remember that event so fondly with Diane Bradley and Isabel O'Hagin. I haven't seen these pictures in quite some time. Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Danielle. I had so much fun at the fortune tellers' table.

      Delete
  2. Writing is such a solitary undertaking. The chance to pack a suitcase and set the GPS for a weekend adventure is an investment in your writing future. Thanks Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Dave. The conference should be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think about these multi-region in-person conferences without smiling. Which is saying a lot from a planner. :) Thanks for sharing the joy and camaraderie -- who doesn't need that right about now? PS. About the cost, the early bird member price for this event is exactly the same as it was at our last MMW in 2019. Take that, inflation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure many of us who met you for the first time at an SCBWI conference feel the same way, Dave! You forgot to mention the dancing -- isn't there always some kind of dancing? I remember the en masse jazz dance at one of the conferences, and then at Naperville -- the impromptu dancing in the ballroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Dave. I won't be attending but hope all those that do have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, David, for sharing your experiences and thoughts. That sense of community is so important. I love where you mentioned, "that we are all on the same team." Everyone has been so welcoming and encouraging, making this journey so much richer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely loved the last Marvelous Midwest. I made new friends and got to know existing writer friends even better--you included, Dave. We writers "get" each other like few others can, with our big imaginations and hurdles. I'm excited to learn more, meet new future friends, and see many of you there, too.

    ReplyDelete