Friday, January 6, 2023

Interview with our featured illustrator, Aubrey Jewel!

Interview By Isabel Estrada O’Hagin

 

Thank you, Aubrey, for designing our new banner!

The Mitten Banner Debuting January 2023

What is your day like? 

Stella and Mootilda


I start off my day being a mom to an amazing four-year-old named Stella. During the week I teach visual arts at Kalamazoo Valley Community College. Primarily, I teach Animation classes, and also mentor folks of all ages in art, including my Stella. When I’m not teaching or fulfilling my mom duties, I get to be in my studio creating all types of art.
 
How many hours of creative work are there in your day?
Not enough—ha! I do try to make sure I have a 30-minute draw time sometime during the day (I try to promote that for all my students, too), but once a week I get to be in my studio and have a nice 6-hour block to create.
 
What does your studio/work space look like? 

I work in multiple places, but my favorite isolated one is my studio garage. During the beginning of the pandemic, I had to clean out the garage to teach from home and it turned into my studio. And now it is my little escape to do art. It has LEGO for stop motion animation, a photo studio setup, and my favorite watercolor pencils and paint. The decor is filled with fun pop culture characters like Ashoka Tano, Jane Foster (Mighty Thor), Wonder Woman, and Doctor Who. The best part is the art my daughter has made also posted on the walls.
  

When you start a new piece, where do you begin? What’s the first step?
I work in all types of digital and traditional mediums, but my go-to starting spot is a sketchbook and pencils. I feel that is where life shows in my illustrations. Right now, I've been drawing images of Stella with her favorite stuffed animal, Mootilda Moo-Cow. Her play with Mootilda inspires me, and with a little imagination, I get some fun illustrations. 

Sketch


Light and Shadows

 

How do you know when you’re done?

Oh, that’s a great question! When it comes to my illustrations, the images are on the computer, and I’m pushing my lights, shadows, and textures. I feel I make a “what if” layer to add… something, and if it works then that’s it! And if it doesn’t and it feels a little too much, I take it off and call it good!



Color Script



Final


What music do you play when making art?

My music choices when I’m drawing tend to revolve around Regina Spektor and Kishi Bashi. I highly recommend those creative music makers!


What’s your favorite work by another illustrator?

I’m lucky to get to teach and mentor many amazing local artists and illustrators here in the Kalamazoo Community! One of my favorite current artists beyond our part of the world is Geneva Bowers. Her art is full of color and whimsy. 

We’d like to get to know you better. What would you like to share with us? 

Aubrey Jewel
I enjoy sharing my creative curiosity with people of all ages and backgrounds. My art is playful, as well as mischievous when needed.

I am a multimedia artist, teacher, and mentor. My specialty is mixing art and technology together to tell visual stories. I share my knowledge of art with the Kalamazoo community, as well as creating my own art that is filled with hope and whimsy. 

You can find my art at 
aubreyjewel.com and on Instagram @aubreyjewel.

Thank you so much for this opportunity!

16 comments:

  1. I love the new banner, and it's even more special knowing how Stella and Mootilda inspire you! Thank you, Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to get to know you, Aubrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new banner. But also, thank you for a sneak peek into your process. Mootilda is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful new banger- Thank you, Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic new banner! Thank you for giving us a peek into your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new banner!! Your work is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Aubrey. I love your banner and especially Mootilda. Her energy is infectious! Thanks for the peek into your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to our region, Aubrey! Thank you for designing The Mitten's winter banner--that shade of blue is pure magical moo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm smitten by the new mitten banner. The colors drew me in. The characters are a delight. Thank you, Aubrey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful banner, Aubrey! Thank you for sharing it with us! I loved reading your about your inspiration for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to KAST, Aubrey! I'm so happy to see your beautiful banner here! I loved your class at KVCC. My character has much better movement and personality now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just so amazing. Thank you for sharing with us all, Aubrey. All the best on your continued journey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What perfect inspirations you have in Stella and Moo-tilda! Love your whimsical style. It was great learning more about you. I look forward to seeing lots more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing! And for bringing your creativity to Kalamazoo and now beyond!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete