Friday, October 14, 2022

Non-Print Markets: Audiobooks and Apps by Tracy Detz

Hello fellow authors and writers!

I'd like to share some interesting experiences I've had publishing my stories in less traditional formats.

Audiomagazine

On the road to publication for my story Icky Berg, I decided to Google children’s literary magazines accepting unsolicited submissions. I submitted Icky Berg to Smarty Pants Magazine for Kids in March 2021, and they accepted it for publication about two months later. To say I was thrilled is an understatement! They paid for my story, too—not that we’re in this writing business for the money. 🤣100% INSANE PASSION!

The editor at Smarty Pants Magazine told me she was surprised my story hadn’t been snatched up by a publisher, and if Smarty Pants published it, they needed exclusivity for one year (after which I’m free to publish it in print or audiobook elsewhere). So, I thought about submitting to publishers, but got caught up writing MG books. Finally, seven months later, I decided to publish my story in Smarty Pants.

Smarty Pants Magazine brought my work to life in an audiobook with fun illustrations, putting the whole thing together about a month after I agreed to publish with them. They chose the illustrator and voice actor and made a crossword puzzle based on facts I provided. I think their model of a combination of ebook and audiobook is very savvy.

Audiobook

Speaking of audiobooks, in 2020, I made one through Amazon audible for my book, No Fish for Charles (Warren, 2019). My contract with Warren allowed me to make my own audiobook (other publishers may have different agreements with their authors/illustrators). It was very affordable, and I got to interview voice actors for the project. The fun part was listening to all the interpretations of my characters/story.  I chose a mother/daughter team, with the daughter reading Charles’ words. 

App


Back in 2019, an exciting new family video-calling app, Caribu, which integrates children’s books and activities, contacted me out of the blue. They said they were acquiring new books for their library and ran across my book, No Fish for Charles, a few months after I had published with Warren. I signed a contract with them, and guess what? I get paid every time someone reads my book (paid quarterly). 😍

I think using different and fun formats for publishing our books, like apps or audiobooks/magazines, is just another way to reach new audiences, enabling readers to fall in love with our stories.



Tracy Detz is an award-winning children’s book author and therapeutic riding instructor, owner of Forever Free, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping individuals with disabilities learn to ride and overcome obstacles through the way of the marvelous horse. Tracy’s first picture book, No Fish for Charles, debuted in April 2019 from Warren Publishing, along with her second book, Valor & Victor and The Zombies from Earth September 2021. Her third book, Icky Berg: An Iceberg Tale launched as an audiobook published by Smarty Pants Magazine For Kids in February 2022. Tracy’s focus is on the well-being of every child, to help, inspire, and encourage them to bloom with all the unique gifts they have to offer the world. You can subscribe to her  monthly newsletter
"Notable News" and join a community of storytellers, teachers, librarians, artists, parents, and children. If you sign up you'll receive her audiobook Icky Berg, An Iceberg Tale! complete with a game and a simple science experiment!

Visit Tracy online at:

https://TracyDetz.com

 https://twitter.com/Tforeverfree

 https://Facebook.com/TracyDetzAuthor

 https://www.instagram.com/hookedonbooks123/


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Tracy for sharing your experiences! I learned about a side of publishing new to me, and that you are open to new ways to get our work out there.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete