Friday, October 28, 2022

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo): Much More than Writing 50,000 Words in November

In the second of three blogs, author Suzanne Jacobs Lipshaw relays her experience writing 50,000+ words in the month of November

 

Life doesn’t go as planned…

Suzanne's writing space
I thought 2021 was the perfect year to participate in National Novel Writing Month. I was a newly retired teacher and an empty nester. A diligent writing student, I completed my NaNo Prep. I set up my office to inspire and facilitate my writing. Research and mentor texts easily accessible. Inspirational stickers and mementos from the UP, where my novel is set, artistically placed on my notebook and hung on my bulletin board. Lake Superior and pine scented candles to set the mood. “Moon Bear,” an important object in my story and my writing mascot cheering me on. Writing 50,000 words in November (that’s 1,667 words per day) was challenging, but I was ready to roll.

Suzanne with her parents

Days one and two went smoothly. Then came day three. My father was taken to the ER by ambulance. The hospital was still under Covid procedures and only one family member could be with him. My mom asked me to go. Assuming I’d be there a good portion of the night, I somehow had the presence of mind to grab my laptop. Once my dad was settled in and asleep, I wrote 2,000 words. The next day we found out my dad needed surgery and was sent to Henry Ford Detroit. Each day I picked up my mom and drove her to the hospital where we spent the day with my dad. At night I went home, had dinner with my husband, went into my office, lit my candles, and wrote. I soon realized that writing from 7:00 -10:00 each night was therapy for me—an escape. On the weekends, my brother went to the hospital with my mom (only two people allowed in the room due to Covid). I spent the weekends taking advantage of the writing boot camps offered by NaNoWriMo Michigan and made up any missed words.

Eventually, my dad left the hospital under hospice care. We knew his time with us was short. Yet, each day my mom asked me “Did you get your words?” And when my dad had the presence of mind he’d ask, “Did you write yesterday?” This was no longer a solitary goal, and their encouragement kept me going.

Sadly, prior to Thanksgiving, my dad passed. My writing time was spent drafting his eulogy and sitting shiva. The final weekend of NaNo, I did a major writing push. On November 30, I hit 50,836 words and typed “THE END” with only hours to spare. During shiva, one of my friends mentioned how my dad’s eyes always twinkled. When I finished writing, I went outside, looked up at two twinkling stars and said aloud, “I finished Dad.” And I could hear him say, “I knew you would. Love you honey.”

 

 

 


Suzanne Jacobs Lipshaw is an award-winning nonfiction children’s book author and former elementary special education teacher who is passionate about growing young minds. Suzanne’s first nonfiction picture book, I Campaigned for Ice Cream: A Boy’s Quest for Ice Cream Trucks, debuted in April 2019 from Warren Publishing. Her second book Mighty Mahi launched from Doodle and Peck Publishing in March 2022. Suzanne enjoys speaking to schools about writing, leadership, and how kids can make a difference in our world.

You can visit Suzanne online at:

v    www.suzannejacobslipshaw.com

v    https://twitter.com/SuzanneLipshaw

v    www.facebook.com/SuzanneJacobsLipshawAuthorEducator

v    https://www.pinterest.com/SuzanneJacobsLipshaw/

v    https://www.instagram.com/suzannejacobslipshaw/

 


Editor's Note:

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Suzanne, for sharing this very personal story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, thank you for sharing your heart and NaNoWriMo experience. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. That novel must be a very special project for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story to share. I'm attempting NaNo this year for the first time and am sure I'll think of you often when I need some inspiration to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Suzanne, thank you for sharing your heart. What a lovely inspiration you and your parents are. Blessings on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, thank you for sharing your story with us. Loss and love go hand in hand, don't they?

    ReplyDelete