Friday, July 22, 2022

On the Shelf by Tara Michener: With You Wherever You Go by Martine Foreman

Cover of With You Wherever You Go
With You Wherever You Go by Martine Foreman
illustrated by QBN Studios (One Nine Press)
When I was a kid I used to pretend that I had my own school. I took this very seriously...I had my own chalkboard and everything, and my stuffed animals were my dedicated students. I did not want school to be a place that was filled with drudgery and pain...I wanted kids to be able to feel free. I made up a concept called feelings class. This was a place where kids could express themselves and know that they would be heard and valued. 

With You Wherever You Go is a book written by Martine Foreman that recognizes the emotions that children feel, and she strives to help them connect to faith as an answer to some of the harder questions.

When we look at "On the Shelf" it is so vital to see that every child should be able to see a book that resonates and helps, and in this book the need for comfort and safety is addressed as well as the reminder that they are not alone. This book addresses the tough times that many of us face and it also reassures and gives guidance that is centered in a higher power. It is important to note that the themes are clearly aligned with religion as a source of coping and compassion. The book features characters of a variety of skin tones and races and includes colorful imagery. I am pretty sure that a younger Tara would have been eager to read this to herself and her stuffed animals for feelings class.    


Tara Michener is the author of six children's books that focus on self-esteem, diversity and anti-bullying. She is a TEDx speaker, therapist and owns her own private practice in Novi, MI. Tara has been recognized in publications such as Prevention Magazine, Essence Magazine, FREEP and more! She is the Committee Chair of E&I at SCBWI-MI. Her favorite days usually include spending time with her hubistrator, Jason, her son Cannon and her favorite snack Twizzlers and Diet Coke. You can follow her on Twitter @Taramichener. 

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful and so important to have that reassurance. Congratulations on a lovely book to share with the world, Martine Foreman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Martine on your new book. Sounds like literature our children need & can enjoy. Thanks Tara for sharing.

    ReplyDelete