Tuesday, July 5, 2022

It Starts with Hello with Kat Higgs-Coulthard

Hello used to be hard for me.

It's one of the reasons I started writing--in the high school cafeteria, bending over a notebook, pen in hand, made me look busy instead of lonely. Creative, not terrified. I wrote words to avoid speaking them.

Until...one day at a bookstore I overheard a group of women analyzing the moves an author had made to build suspense in the book they were reading. After the group dispersed, I approached one woman who remained behind gathering her things and asked the name of the book they'd been discussing.

She introduced herself as Cynthia Furlong Reynolds and shared that her book group was composed of writers who analyze the work of other writers in order to inform their own writing. She shared that she was also a writer. PROFESSIONALLY. Until that moment, that was something I did not think was actually possible. She was kind and friendly and told me I should consider joining SCBWI. She belonged to the Michigan Chapter and because I lived in Michigan, I could too. In fact, I should come with her to the meeting next month.
I was terrified.
But I went.
It was tempting to sit in the back and hide in my notebook. But before I could, Cynthia introduced me to one person, then another. The hellos piled up; conversations began. I couldn't tell you who I met that day or what we talked about, but the message was overwhelming and clear: YOU BELONG.

I'm still afraid to say hello. But every time I do there's a new friend saying hello back. I've met some amazing people through SCBWI and I look forward to meeting even more.

Hello :)


Kat Higgs-Coulthard has been a writer as long as she can remember. She became a teacher out of a desire to help others share their words and has been a teacher for more than 20 years, first as an elementary teacher, then as a teacher educator at Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame. Her latest YA book, Junkyard Dogs, is due out in March 2023 from Peachtree Teen.


Thank you, Kat, for sharing your Hello story marked by these descriptions of authentic emotion. I think many of us can relate to your experiences. From being terrified to looking forward to meeting more amazing people through SCBWI—may our greetings and smiles welcome the new faces we encounter virtually or in person! Pass it on!

Do you have a Hello story you want to share? Send me your submission at ohaginib@gmail.com (300 words or less).

13 comments:

  1. How wonderful to find a place to belong. I felt that too at my first in-person with SCBWI. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said "Hello" to Ruth and me at an early conference, invited us to visit your kids' school and even let us stay in a spare bedroom the night before. That's how WE met, and you've been a great friend ever since. And congrats on the YA novel coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks, Charlie! I miss seeing you and Ruth at events. Hope we can catch up soon.

      Delete
  4. Cynthia Furlong Reynolds is a terrific spokesperson for SCBWI, for bringing you in. What a sweet introduction story. And how glad we all are that you're with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great people in SCBWI--Ruth, you are one of the best!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story, Kat. Glad Cynthia introduced you to other writers. And how awesome how you befriended Ruth and Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kat! It was my pleasure to have met you through another SCBWI friend last summer. We met online and I hope we'll have an opportunity to meet in person in the near future. Maybe at your book launch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about this post, Iz!

      Delete
  7. What a powerful story, Kat! I love reading about connections that lead to more connections. This hello led to you joining SCBWI. Years later, because of SCBWI connections, you reached out to me with a hello and I'm so lucky you did, co-writer and dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very honored that you shared this story, Kathy! I remember the B&N bookstore perfectly, "The Girl in Hyacinth Blue" discussion, meeting you at the stacks, later appearing in your children's school, staying at your house and sharing hot dogs with your family, and the fun we had as roommates at several conferences. You are a cherished friend AND a gifted writer--as well as someone who can make me cry at 7:30 a.m. on a rainy morning! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry! I should have entered the above comment with my name: Cynthia Furlong Reynolds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this touching story! I am sure you inspire many other young writers today. - Sue Thoms

    ReplyDelete