Tuesday, April 26, 2022

It Starts with Hello with Robin Pizzo

This month’s It Starts with Hello story is authored by Robin Pizzo, a long-time member of SCBWI who attends the Lansing Area Shop Talks (LAST). Our regional Shop Talks are a fabulous way to connect with other kidlit creatives, as are SCBWI-MI workshops and conferences. Don’t walk, run to your nearest Shop Talk!


-- Isabel Estrada O’Hagin, Outreach Coordinator

 


Sixteen years ago, my third child and first son neared two and would not wean. I know, just stay with me. I was researching how to get my picture books published and found some article about SCBWI. My husband suggested I attend the LA SCBWI Summer Conference and that would wean my little guy, plus I’d learn about the publishing process.

 

Unfortunately, I missed my flight. My mom lived in Detroit, and I went home to cry on her shoulder. She would not accept my tears but gave me the money to fly out first thing the next morning. I made it just as the keynote was over and the audience had cleared. Again, tears. Then a man started with, “Hello,” and asked me what was going on. That man was Walter Dean Myers, one of my literary rock stars. Tears again. We talked for a while about my journey, and he encouraged me to keep writing.

For the next two days, I met Linda Sue Park, heard Jacqueline Woodson speak, and learned from great editors like Arthur A. Levine. I even roomed with Jennifer D. Chambliss who wrote the amazing Book Scavenger series. From there, I connected at a local bookstore with Lansing’s Regional Shop Talks. Although I’m a member of the SistaLoc Writing Group in Lansing, which is comprised of five professional Black women who write in a variety of genres, I’m the only one writing kidlit. The Regional Shop Talks are great for checking in with writers who focus primarily on children’s literature. This past September I enjoyed the outdoor gathering hosted by Charlie and Ruth Barshaw. It was a perfect mix of social distancing, fall foliage, fresh air, kid lit creators, snacks, writing journey, a Quinceanera, and book talk. 

More about Robin in her own words: I've been a writer since the age of five and my first published piece was a poem for my childhood best friend aka my grandmother printed in her obituary. I fell in love with books in 5th grade and historical fiction is my favorite genre. I still hate that I sold my Shakespeare anthology in college because I was broke and the buyback seemed better than selling plasma. I continue to write all the things but my ambition is to become a traditional children’s author publishing picture books to young adult and everything in between. I'm a Detroit girl, member of the Sistalocks Writing Group, a mom, wife and Education Director at WKAR Public Media where Elmo is my boss, according to my youngest!  

You can also read more about Robin in her interview with Charlie Bradshaw or follow her on Twitter or YouTube


Thank you, Robin, for sharing this uplifting story of perseverance!

 Enjoy reading about other member’s “Hello” stories? I do, and I bet you do, too! We each have a unique story to tell! Send your 300-word or less submission to ohaginib@gmail.com.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Great story, Robin. Hope to see you again at LAST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you through this interview, Robin! Best of luck in your publishing journey ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I enjoyed reading it wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to go to the conference after all. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Robin. So nice to meet another SCBWI-MI member. The group has grown so much over the years that it's been fun "meeting" others in this way. Thanks Isabel for this idea!

    ReplyDelete