Friday, April 15, 2022

Interview with Novel Mentor, Kelly J. Baptist

 


SCBWI-MI is holding two novel mentorships this year. The mentors are Kelly J. Baptist and Patrick Flores-Scott. Today, we have an interview with Kelly. Please read our April 8 interview with Patrick. Everything you need to know about these mentorships can be found on the mentorship page of the SCBWI-MI website. The submission window for both mentorships opens on April 25, 2022. 


Kelly J. Baptist was born and raised in the great state of Michigan. She’s lived in Alabama, Florida, and Minnesota, but somehow found herself right back in her home state. Kelly won the 2015 We Need Diverse Books short story contest, and her winning entry is included in the middle grade anthology, Flying Lessons and Other Stories. A follow-up to that story, Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero, is available from Crown Books for Young Readers. Kelly also won the 2017 Lee and Low New Voices Honor Award for her picture book, The Electric Slide and Kai. Kelly is a huge Kobe Bryant fan, and incorporates Mamba Mentality in all aspects of her life, especially writing!

 

What do you like best about writing novels?

I really enjoy creating characters and situations that are sometimes very different from what is around me. For example, when I was younger (and even now!) I often wrote about boy characters. I think this is because I grew up with only sisters and I really wanted brothers, too! I like the excitement of a fresh new idea and I love that the story takes me on a journey!

What do you like least?

What's hard is when I'm very close to the end, but not quite there yet...especially if there's a deadline looming! Those parts are not as fun!

Describe a typical writing day.

The word "typical" does not exist in my writing days! :-) Because I have a full-time job and am a full-time mom to five, writing often happens in fits and spurts: a few moments in my office after work, in the car pick up line, while waiting for my oldest to get off work, while spaghetti noodles are boiling, etc., etc. Though I do have an official writing space, a lot of times I am writing/editing/responding to email in my car!

When you’re reading for pleasure, what features of a book typically impress you the most?

I love strong family themes! Family can be a lot of different things and the exploration of that is satisfying to see. Since I live in a small town, I love books set in big cities, and since winter can get annoying, I love books set in tropical climates. I'm impressed by books that connect multi-generational characters; I love the rich learning that takes place between grandparents, children, and grandchildren. Any picture book or novel that captures the above features also captures my attention!

What inspires you?

I'm inspired by young people, especially when they are pursuing their passion at a young age. I'm inspired and propelled by my ancestors, known and unknown. I am their wildest dreams and I take that very seriously. In terms of people, Kobe Bryant will probably always be my greatest inspiration. My goal is to approach writing with the same intensity, passion, and relentlessness as he did on the court. 

What aspects of being a novel mentor are you most looking forward to?

I am excited about the opportunity to pass on tips and insights that I've learned to someone else. I gotta throw in one of my favorite Kobe quotes here: "The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do." It's so gratifying passing wisdom on, and being willing to receive some as well!

 

Can you tell us about any upcoming projects?

The sequel to Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero comes out in August! It's called Isaiah Dunn Saves the Day, and I guess it makes a trilogy if you count The Beans And Rice Chronicles of Isaiah Dunn in Flying Lessons and Other Stories, where it all started. Next year, my first novel-in-verse will be released, as well as another middle grade novel. Hopefully, a picture book will be sprinkled in there as well!

 



Ann Finkelstein is a former scientist who discovered that writing novels is more fun than wrangling test tubes. She coordinates the mentorship program for SCBWI-MI. For mentorship questions, email Ann.

 

3 comments:

  1. Loved learning more about Kelly, especially how she juggles work, family, and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an inspiring mentor, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete