Friday, June 4, 2021

Writer Spotlight: Celeste Turner Creates Reading Superheroes

Charlie Barshaw coordinates our quarterly Writer Spotlight feature and interviews writers of SCBWI-MI. In this piece, meet Celeste Turner, who uses her teaching superpower to connect children to books and superheroes.

On Growing Up in Detroit, the Transformative Power of 1st Grade, Comic Books, a Drawing Pad, and Backyard Sitting


What was life like for you growing up?

I was born and raised in Detroit. I had lots of friends growing up that are still in my life today. We would play outside, go to the local library, and spend the weekends walking around the neighborhood. As a kid I would make up stories to tell my friends, family, pets, or anyone that would listen.

Who influenced you to pursue reading, writing and education?

My mother and father encouraged me to read. My father would let me read the newspaper and my mother made sure I knew how to use the local library.  Our home had an encyclopedia set which I enjoyed reading too.

As a kid I started writing to record the stories I would make up and then add new things along the way. It was my alone time.


After getting my bachelor’s degree in business a friend told me Detroit Public Schools was hiring substitute teachers, so I applied. They were looking for elementary people, so I started with the Reading Recovery Program under a mentor teacher. They paid for me to get a teaching certificate and my master’s degree.   

You were a teacher for 25 years. What do you remember about your first year in the classroom?

I remember all the support given to me by seasoned teachers. I had a mentor that showed me a lot. I was taught to be patient, but in control. That was hard because you want children to like you. I remember reading Marva Collins’ Way by Marva Collins. I wanted to be the best teacher possible and she believed all children could learn regardless of the circumstances.  

 Which grades did you teach? What student age is your favorite?

I taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th graders.  My favorite was the 1st grade because you got to see a real transformation. They come to you knowing letters and some sight words in the beginning of the school year. Then suddenly in the spring you notice them reading picture books independently. The children are connecting the pictures to the text and decoding. It is a privilege to be there when that magic happens for a child.  I always made sure picture books were available in my classroom library for borrowing.

You were a Facilitator for the Meadow Brook Writing Project. What were the goals of that project? What were the successes?

I started with the MBWP through their Invitational Summer Institute, a professional development program for teachers that also write. We developed writing units to implement at schools and produced an anthology, In the Company of Writers. From that I spent several years as a writing facilitator for Youth Summer Writing Camps held at the historic Meadow Brook Hall. I highly recommend MBWP Summer Institute for educators that enjoy writing.

You created the Boys, Books and Superheroes Reading Program. What is it all about?

Two friends and I created Boys, Books & Superheroes in response to a grant offered by My Brother’s Keeper Detroit (MBK).  BB&S program provides 3rd grade African American boys with resources to build sustained reading habits through book club activities.  BB&S combines graphic novels, comics, and action/adventure/sports genre books to give boys a variety of reading choices.  They hold book discussions and make book commercials/trailers.   

For the BB&S book club, it is not all about reading comic books and graphic novels. What are some of the other activities you offer?


In BB&S the boys make their own comic books with the help of an art teacher. They create and draw superheroes & nemesis characters and settings.  Past groups turned their drawings into animation shorts. The boys earn comic books after completing the weekly activities. We give them another set of books at the end to help build an at-home library.

And now you're offering a "Girls, Books and Superheroes" program this Spring. 

The Girls, Books & Superheroes is a new program.  I was doing a girls book club at school last year, then COVID 19 came. Since I had the materials we added the girls book club under the boys umbrella as a prototype.  The girls are enjoying the format, so we may see more for them in the future.  


How did you find SCBWI? Has it been helpful in your writing career?

I found SCBWI 10 years ago when I was looking for resources to understand the children’s book writing industry and joined for a year. Last year I decided to try it again. Since then, I have attended webinars, conferences, and connected with the MI regional groups. The biggest benefit for me has been the critique groups and shop talk activities with local author/illustrators. I am looking forward to attending the MI Spring Conference.

What are the stories you feel compelled to write?

I want to write stories that tell the various everyday experiences children have. I want them to read my books and recognize themselves in the story from school, friendships, family etc. Picture Books should inspire, help children feel brave and occasionally help them imagine a different outcome in life.   

What is your writing process? How do you take a wisp of an idea to a more developed story?

Lately, I have been outlining my stories in a drawing pad that was being wasted. Creating the story shape that comes to mind for the idea I get.  My initial thoughts are usually plot driven and I see the whole story in my head. Then I jot down notes filling in more details about the characters, problem, and solution.  This is used to create my draft and do revisions. I am tinkering with different types of checklist for revision.

What are you working on now?

Currently I am working on a possible picture book series about a 7-year-old boy named Amobi who has moved from Nigeria to the U.S. The stories center around how his family helps him through the experiences at his new school. Amobi’s American Spelling Bee & Amobi’s 100th School Day are the working titles.

I am also doing a program called Storyteller Academy.  It provides courses that help you with the craft of storytelling for children’s books. I have created several new manuscripts since joining.  

What do you most look forward to when the quarantine ends?

I look forward to sitting in the backyards of family and friends this summer.  Filling the space with laughter, chatter, and storytelling.  


Follow Celeste on Instagram and Twitter

If you know a member of Michigan's SCBWI who'd be a great interview, email cjbarshaw523@aol.com and give me their contact information. 

16 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Celeste. Your superhero programs sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful interview, Celeste!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your Amobi books published. They illustrate the love and support of a wonderful family. After hearing your story, I can practically smell dinner simmering on the stove.
    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful interview, Celeste!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your Amobi books published. They illustrate the love and support of a wonderful family. After hearing your story, I can practically smell dinner simmering on the stove.
    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Celeste! I've seen you in the group chats in various Shop Talks these past several months and now we all get to know more about you through Charlie's interview. What a whirl of activity! It's great to learn that you're sharing your talents and interests with your local writing community and children. I'd love to learn more about your Superheroes Boys/Girls program. Do you have a website available?

    You are an inspiration. I hope to read your books once they're published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabel. So glad you enjoyed the interview. I don't have a website yet. I am on Instagram & Twitter. @Celestewrites1

      Delete
  5. Charlie: Thank you for a wonderful, uplifting interview with Celeste! You have a skill for posing the perfect questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celeste, nice to meet you. I love that you consider the shape of your stories while using a drawing pad. In the past, i have asked my writing students to draw their plots. It does help to visualize it beforehand. Glad you're here. Shutta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am proud of my niece Celeste. Celeste has always been observant, kind, patient and driven. This is relative to what she places on the printed page. Wishing her continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Aunt Dee. I appreciate these words from a fellow writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Charlie for these thoughtful Writer Spotlight interviews! Celeste - I've briefly met you at a couple of the Shop Talks, but it was nice to learn much more about you here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks to Charlie aka Interviewer Extraordinaire and Celeste for this post. Celeste, your childhood sounds a lot like mine in terms of the power of the neighborhood! We're happy that you are part of this community too and look forward to seeing much more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimberly Bellanti-BarthoJune 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM

    Celeste, you continue to inspire me in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a wonderful article! I have been honored to get to know Celeste over this past year, as I am apart of her critique group. She is a fabulous person!

    ReplyDelete