Thursday, June 24, 2021

Selling a Picture Book - My Mini Book Tour by Linda K. Sienkiewicz

 

Let me first say that selling doesn’t come easily to me. The fear of rejection is real. In fact, I was reeling after the response from the very first independent bookstore I went in to cold. Luckily, after that initial snub, things went smoother, and now Gordy and the Ghost Crab is being carried at several stores in North Carolina. But I wanted to get my book into stores where I knew the book would sell well, which happen to be in the same area where I got my inspiration for the story.

My approach:
I made a list of about ten bookstores and shops. From prior trips down south, my biggest hope was to get into two Outer Banks indie bookstores, Buxton Village Books and Books to be Red. Don and I mapped a drive south on Highway 12 to Ocracoke Island, and planned to stop in any stores that looked like a good fit.

I called or emailed as many bookstores as possible a week before our trip and introduced myself as a children’s book author with a picture book of interest to their customers. I told them the story involves a boy’s first encounter with a ghost crab, it includes science facts, and it’s the only picture book with factual information on ghost crabs. I told the store owners I’d be in the area and could offer them signed copies at a wholesale price as well as wrapped play sets. 

Both Buxton Village and Books to be Red asked me to email them a sell sheet.

Buxton Village responded to my email on the same day by ordering 12 books and 6 play sets. Ocracoke’s Books to be Red didn’t respond to my email, but I knew I’d see her in person when we arrived on the island. I wasn’t able to reach all the bookstores on my list, which meant I’d have to go in cold to some shops.

I designed a sell sheet with ordering and contact information, details about the book, and author quotes. I bought gold “autographed by author” stickers. I packed up my play sets (the book, a little pail and shovel, and a windup crab). Then we hit the road with a positive mindset.


First on my travel route was an indie bookstore in Historic Winchester, VA. That owner would not look at or touch my book. When I leafed through it, hoping to engage her, she pointedly refused. She said, “I appreciate that you have a book. As an independent book store owner, I simply can’t take books from just anyone who walks in off the street.” She whisked the flyer I handed her off the counter and tossed it underneath as if I were peddling drugs. I said thank you and left. Once my anger faded, I laughed about it. Apparently, some indie bookstores adhere to strict policies! 

In Kitty Hawk, NC, I visited Gray’s Outer Banks Clothing, Kitty Hawk Kites, and two other gift shops and bookstores. I showed the book to the store associates, talked it up, and gave them a sell sheet. Gray’s marketing department emailed me a few days later to request signed copies at wholesale price. They have four stores in Kitty Hawk and Corolla, have been in business since 1948, so I did a happy dance. We dropped off a box of books for them on our drive home.

Once we were in Ocracoke, I made an appointment to talk to the owner at Books to be Red. The owner bought four books and four play sets. She orders books from Ingram on a weekly basis, so, fingers crossed she’ll order more books when those sell. I feel confident they will.

Then I posted on Facebook and Instagram how happy Gordy was to be in Books to be Red and Buxton Village Books, and tagged the post #Ocracoke, #OcracokeIsland, #Hatteras, etc. This move paid off when I went into the Ocracoke Preservation Society museum gift shop. The person behind the desk had seen my Instagram post and happily purchased signed copies for their gift shop.

As I took pictures of the book and play set at the beach, I realized I could take Gordy on a tour of Ocracoke. I cut his image from a book cover and glued it to a board I had with me. Now I had my own “Flat Gordy” to take around the village. I took enough photos to hopefully generate interest in the book throughout the entire summer on Facebook and Instagram.

Now that we’re home, I plan to follow up with phone calls to a few stores where I left flyers. I also need to visit indie bookstores in Michigan. Gordy and I will have to plan a few more trips.

Promoting yourself and your work is not always easy, but no one can promote your work better than you. And the good news is the more you do, the easier it gets. Try offering your books wholesale as opposed to consignment, especially when you’re dealing with stores that are out of state. Finally, don’t limit yourself to bookstores, either. Gift shops sell books, too. All you need to do is find the right fit.



Linda K. Sienkiewicz’s short stories, poetry, essays and art have been published in numerous literary journals and anthologies. Her newest release is a children's picture book, GORDY AND THE GHOST CRAB. Among her awards are five Finalist awards for her debut novel, IN THE CONTEXT OF LOVE, a Pushcart Prize Nomination, and a poetry chapbook award from Heartlands. She has three other poetry chapbooks. She studied at Cooper School of Art in Cleveland, Ohio, and earned a Masters Degree (MFA) from the University of Southern Maine. Linda lives with her husband in Rochester, Michigan where they spoil their grandchildren and send them back home.






Coming up on The Mitten Blog:

Another thoughtful post from our SCBWI-MI Equity and Inclusion Team and a few weeks off for summer vacation! But first, it's time for our quarterly Ask the Editor feature. Thanks to everyone who sent questions to editor Katherine Gibson Easter. Come back next Friday, July 2nd, to read all the questions and answers.


7 comments:

  1. So much to learn from your experience, Linda. Thanks so much! When I have a hard time "selling," I try to remember the little person who will have the book in their lap. :) PS also love the last sentence in your bio. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful and full of wonderful ideas. Where did you purchase the gold stickers (signed by author) mentioned above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad this was helpful! I found the stickers on Amazon.

      Delete
  3. Like Carrie, I'd have a hard time selling my book. But your tips on picking a small list to work from makes it feel like something I coud do. Thanks so much for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so welcome. Natalie. Start small, think big. 😊

      Delete
  4. You’re welcome. I try to nudge myself beyond my comfort zone. I told myself I had to do it. Nobody else was going to do it for me!

    ReplyDelete