Friday, November 8, 2019

Michigan Publishers: Fifth Avenue Press by Debbie Taylor


The Mitten Blog is launching a new series to explore local publishing options right here in Michigan. First up is Fifth Avenue Press - an interesting venture run by the Ann Arbor District Library. They're celebrating their Fall 2019 list this weekend, and here to tell us more is one of their newest authors, Debbie Taylor. You can read Debbie's Book Birthday interview to learn more about her new picture book, Over in Motown, but read on below to learn more about her experience working with Fifth Avenue Press.

Celebrate with Debbie and the other Fifth Avenue authors this Sunday in Ann Arbor!

Here's Debbie:

Debbie's first picture book published by Lee and Low in 2004
The differences in my experiences with a trade publisher and Fifth Avenue Press range from minor to profound. Each one provided magic. My first picture book was published in 2004 by a trade publisher. My most recent book, Over in Motown was published by Fifth Avenue Press, a publishing imprint of the Ann Arbor District Library dedicated to publishing local authors.

In 2017, a critique group member encouraged me to submit Over in Motown to Fifth Avenue Press. In just two weeks after I submitted the manuscript, I received an invitation to meet to discuss the book with Erin Helmrich, an editor and librarian, and Amanda Szot, the graphic designer. Erin asked if I was willing to make some revisions. I agreed and was immediately informed that Fifth Avenue Press would like to publish the manuscript. When I worked with my wonderful editor at a trade publisher I received an offer by phone after six months of revisions. During the process, I met with Erin and Amanda in person to discuss revisions, while in the past, my interactions with an editor were by e-mail and telephone.

My trade publisher selected an illustrator my book. The artist selected was without a doubt, a great choice. I certainly did not expect to be asked for input. Fifth Avenue Press identified an initial illustrator immediately, but eventually decided to move in a different direction with a new illustrator. Erin and Amanda scoured the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators directory and solicited my suggestions for an illustrator. In short order they settled upon Keisha Morris and requested some sample sketches based on the manuscript. Erin and Amanda shared a few of Keisha’s sketches and we agreed she had captured the essence of the book. Fifth Avenue Press paid the illustrator's fee just as trade publishers do.

My trade publisher managed the printing and distribution of the book. As a Fifth Avenue Press author, I was responsible for selecting a printer and also choosing the book size, format and paper. Fortunately, they had a great relationship with a local printer, McNaughton-Gunn. I met with a representative who provided book samples with various styles of paper. I felt out of my depth, but after talking with Erin and Amanda, I made my selections.

My trade publisher published the book in hardback for almost nine years and released it in paperback a few years ago. With Fifth Avenue Press, I had to make those decision since I would be paying for the printing. After conferring with other authors and having a lengthy conversation with my sister, a first grade teacher, I settled on paperbacks for the initial run.

The most unusual feature of Fifth Avenue Press is that authors retain the rights to their books. Any profit, after paying sales taxes, is mine. With my first publisher, I received an advance and I receive a royalty check every six months.

Both of my publishers secured the ISBN and provided graphics for websites and other purposes. Fifth Avenue Press has provided opportunities for the authors to meet, mingle and share information and resources. It also generously hosts a book launch for each crop of authors.

At a Fifth Avenue Press book launch in May of this year, I ran into a critique group member who asked if I knew that Spider Magazine had reprinted a story of mine. We rifled through back issues of Spider and found the reprint. The illustrations were different from the original and captured different elements of the story. I peered at the illustrator’s name. It was Keisha Morris. Neither Erin nor Amanda had known that of all the illustrators who could have been chosen to illustrate a reprint, it would turn out to be the illustrator they would select to illustrate Over in Motown!

Working with my first publisher was a great experience. Working with Fifth Avenue Press was remarkable. Having personal access to a "dream team," my terrific editor and our splendid graphic designer, provided  a unique and truly rich experience. I would urge anyone with a good manuscript and a dream to visit the Fifth Avenue Press website


Debbie Ann Taylor is a picture book author and magazine writer. Her work has been published in children's magazines including Spider, Cricket, New Moon and Pockets Magazine. Taylor is the author of the acclaimed picture book, Sweet Music in Harlem (Lee and Low 2004) and books for the Toggle Talk educational series. She contributes to local, regional and national literacy efforts as an author, speaker and volunteer. Her hobbies include visiting museums and botanical gardens with her family. Taylor and her husband live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Learn more at https://sweetmusicinharlem.weebly.com/.










Coming up on the Mitten Blog:

All about book reviews, the upcoming non-fiction mentorship, Book Birthday celebrations, a Writer Spotlight, and our quarterly round of Hugs and Hurrahs. But first, come back next Friday to meet the new SCBWI-MI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Committee!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Fifth Avenue Press and how positive it's been, Debbie. Wish I could come see you to tomorrow but I have to go to my mom's.

    ReplyDelete