Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Book Birthday Blog With Rhonda Gowler Greene

 

Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!

Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.

 

Congratulations to Rhonda Gowler Greene on the release of The Not-So-Silent Night: The Joyful Noise of the First Christmas

 

 

How did you come up with the idea and how long did it take you to write the book? 

A Scholastic/Little Shepherd editor asked me to write the story. It was the same editor who asked me to write my Mommy Loves Me and my Daddy Loves Me books that came out this past spring. The big difference is that this book is a 40-page picture book vs. the other two being 18-page board books. Too, for this, I signed a standard picture book contract vs. work-for-hire contracts.

In May 2025, the editor and I had a call when she shared the title and a basic idea of what she wanted— a whimsical rhyming nativity story with lots of onomatopoeia and a build-up of chaotic, but joyous noises from animals and angels. She wanted tension in the story—all these sounds would keep waking up newborn Baby Jesus. She said maybe make the story cumulative. The illustrator, Wazza Pink (lives in Vietnam), had already been chosen. 


I was given seven weeks to write the first draft. The book was to be released within a year and a half, so it was on a tight schedule. A few more months went by while I worked on revisions. 


 

What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book? 

I hope my book brings lots of joy to readers and listeners, not only because of the lively verses, but also because of Wazza’s stunning illustrations. I couldn’t be happier with the art! Too, I hope readers take away the message that God loves them so much that He sent his Son to Earth as their Savior that very first Christmas. 

What was the most difficult part of writing this book?

Having three editors on the manuscript was the most difficult part. My main editor who asked for the lighthearted, fun story left Scholastic soon after our May 2025 call. A different Scholastic editor acquired the book then. Too, my text was edited by a freelance religious editor whom Little Shepherd used at that time for biblical accuracy. When I got my manuscript back from the freelance editor, wow—so many edits! I didn’t agree with most of them, mainly because they totally threw off my rhythm. I felt my text had lost its playfulness. 

Regarding biblical accuracy, some of the religious editor’s suggestions seemed inconsistent. For example, I mentioned three camels, but she said the Bible doesn’t say there were three. She also said the Bible doesn’t say there were angels over the stable, which I had. But then, she suggested the little mouse (who sneezes in my story) could hold a harp. 

Panic set in. I went over her edits so many times trying to work in revisions she suggested. I finally sent long emails to my ‘new’ main editor with all my reasons for keeping every word or line that I didn’t think needed revising. In the end, I got to keep most of my original text. Phew! 

What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it?

Besides announcing its release on my social media, I hope to do some bookstore events closer to Christmas. Since Scholastic is the publisher, it will be in their book clubs and fairs, get reviewed nationally, and be available on all the online bookstores (and, hopefully, at brick-and-mortar stores too). 

In August, the book got a nice review in Publishers Weekly— “…The rhyming text’s lively sounds and repetition invite reader participation, while cozy crowded scenes in a range of saturated tones signify a holy night with plenty of newborn bustle. The result is a ‘late-night hullabaloo’ featuring lots of ways to rejoice.”

And recent good news! The book has been selected for the Society of Illustrators 46th Original Art Show in NYC which runs from 10/31/26 - 1/30/27.

What's next for you?

Next year, on January 12th, my If You Want to See a Narwhal (Little Brown; illustrated by Xin Li) will be released. In Fall 2028, my The Trick-or-Treat Train (Bloomsbury) will be chugging into bookstores. An illustrator for it was recently chosen—Gemma Roman. I’m looking forward to seeing some spooky sketches soon!

On July 1st, I sold my Way Up at the North Pole: A Christmas Counting Rhyme (Fall 2028) to Sleeping Bear Press. On July 20th, I sold my When the Animals Heard About You: Collective Nouns on the Move (Spring 2029) to Doubleday. I’ve never worked with Doubleday, so that was extra exciting. (The collective nouns book will be my 38th picture book.) 

And fingers crossed regarding selling more of my manuscripts that are currently out on submission.

ps… September marked my 30-year anniversary with Curtis Brown, Ltd. It’s hard to believe I’ve been with them since 1996! My first agent was Marilyn Marlow, who passed away in 2003. Elizabeth Harding, her assistant (and agent then too), acquired Marilyn’s clients. Last fall, Elizabeth bought Curtis Brown and is now the CEO (and still my agent).  

Thanks for the interview! And good luck to everyone with your writing and illustrating! 

More about the book . . .

A warm and whimsical story of the night when Baby Jesus is born. Though trying his best to sleep, the baby keeps being awakened by the boisterous sounds of stable animals, angels singing and playing instruments, sheep, doggies, and camels. In the end, they all become a joyous and merry Christmas choir welcoming the baby to Bethlehem.   

            By starlight, shepherds hurry.
            Sheep follow. The whole flock!
            A loud and rowdy cloud of them!
            Baa! Baa! Baa!...BOCK! BOCK! BOCK!
                        …But Baby is asleep. Shhh.
                        Try not to make a peep… 

Published By: Scholastic/Little Shepherd 

More about the author . . . 

Rhonda Gowler Greene is the author of over thirty picture books. She’s been published with several major publishers, beginning with her first sale (from the slush pile) in 1995 to Simon & Schuster. Her books have earned starred reviews and honors such as School Library Journal Best Book and Bank Street College Best Book. Rhonda holds a master’s in educational media and is a former learning disabilities teacher. She lives in Orchard Lake, Michigan, with her husband, Gary, in a house overflowing with books. They have four grown children and four adorable grandchildren—all voracious readers! Visit her online at https://rhondagowlergreene.com/

FaceBook:  Rhonda Gowler Greene
Instagram: @rhondagowlergreene 

 

Elizabeth Harding (left); Curtis Brown, NYC
 

1 comment: