Friday, March 17, 2023

More Than a Publishing Summit by Renee Bolla

 

If you were to ask me the day I resigned from corporate retail if I would be a self-published author who started a picture book marketing group, I would have laughed. Not because I didn’t think I was capable but because that would have felt so far out of my wheelhouse. I was a fashion merchant and brand strategist with 20 years invested in corporate retail. What did I know about being an author? Fast forward, I had two picture books released in 2022, formed Kidlit at Heart, and just presented at the Women in Publishing Summitthe largest virtual event for women in the publishing industry.

 


The power of the writing community is remarkable. I didn’t know anyone in the industry when I began. I didn't have a formal education in the field, so I did the most logical thing I could think of and jumped in headfirst. Soaking up knowledge anywhere I could get it and connecting with as many people as I could. I joined the 12x12 community and SCBWI. I met my fellow Kidlit at Heart members (Mona Voelkel, Tarja Nevala, and Leslie Tayloe) through 12x12 and soon discovered each of us was also a member of SCBWI. We were strangers from all walks of life that came together for the love of creating. 

 

We heard about the Women in Publishing Summit (thanks Instagram) and its mission to celebrate, empower, encourage, and support women writers in the publishing industry. We wanted to be a part of that. Its mission closely aligned with Kidlit at Heart’s values of inspiring, creating, and connecting. So, we took a bold approach and directly contacted the founder, shared our story, goals, and passion for creating. That was the birth of our first speaking opportunity as a picture book marketing group. We hosted the workshop Forming a Collaborative Children's Book Marketing Group, a wonderful topic that we can expand on another time.

 

The summit was my first speaking opportunity as an author. My previous 20 years in corporate retail brought me many speaking opportunities but THIS! A conference of this caliber, this size, this early on in my journey. Nervous? You could say that. I felt like I was in middle school again, preparing my first speech for the school’s annual debate. I was on year 2 of my author journey, not exactly an expert. But I am well versed in all things marketing and have the personal experience of transitioning into a new career late in life. I knew what helped me along my entry into the writing industry. Community and connection. That realization changed my internal dialogue and calmed my nerves.

 

The Women in Publishing Summit was my chance to be part of something meaningful. An event entirely dedicated to women, dedicated to sharing women’s stories, and our voices while celebrating our accomplishments. Women supporting women. Talk about community. Whether you are an experienced writer or aspiring to start, this brought true mentorship and connection. 

 

This piece is in celebration of all the inspiring women out there. Make today, tomorrow, and every day a day to celebrate your courage, strength, and resilience. And always remember, we are strong alone, but together we can change the world.

 

Renee Bolla, a self-taught, self-published author who resigned from the only career she knew to follow a dream of becoming an author at almost 40, is now and forever a part of the Women in Publishing community. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story, Renee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann for taking the time to read and connect.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I know the journey is a long one but I am so excited about the next chapter in my life.

      Delete
  3. Renee, you are an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sharing your courageous journey with us. Looking forward to hearing more about your books and publishing ventures!

    ReplyDelete