Friday, December 23, 2022

Writer Spotlight: Vicky Lorencen

 

Granny Franny, Julie Andrews, 'Frog on a Dime,' and Acme anvils: Vicky Lorencen finds non-fiction on her quest to write a MG novel

Charlie Barshaw coordinates our regular Writer Spotlight feature and interviews writers of SCBWI-MI. In this piece, meet blogger, doodler and pre-published (for now) writer Vicky Lorencen.

 When did you know you were a writer?


Early edition of Vicky


I’ve known I wanted to write children’s books since I was a little girl, like five. Not just a writer, but a writer of that specific genre (even though I didn’t know that word back then). But why?

I blame it on a certain book: Childcraft, Volume Two, Storytelling and Poems, copyright 1949. It was part of a 14-volume set my Granny Franny originally purchased for my mom and her sister when they were little girls. Volume Two included poetry by Emily Dickinson, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Robert Frost and Carl Sandburg, among many others, and a stunning variety of illustrations by exceptional artists.

Page from Childcraft, 1949

My mom kept the set intact in the hall closet of my childhood home for years, but somehow that precious Volume Two vamoosed to WhoKnowsWhere. Over the years, I thought about Volume Two. It may sound silly, but I longed to see those images of Miss T. dining with her grandparents, an elephant on the telephone, the dancing potatoes, the tiny black kitten curled on the blue rug. And I wanted to read those poems again. Those amazing poems. The combination of art and rhythmic words was like an incantation. So powerful. So magical.

I’m sure that book is the reason I loved making cards as a kid. I drew an “illustration” for the outside and wrote a poem for the inside. Voila! A mini book!

I’m happy to report I finally found Volume Two online and it is now lives at my house. Sure enough, seeing it again takes me to the same place of contentment and delight that made me want to write for children, even while I was a child myself.

You’ve been a magazine editor, freelance newspaper reporter, feature writer, copywriter and college-level writing instructor. Whew! Can you describe a memory from one of those jobs?

Besides writing courses, I taught a class designed for students in need of extra help to get their reading skills up to college speed. I’ll never forget a student, a dad in his 40s, who made a point of telling me he’d finished reading the novel he’d selected for class. “It was the first novel I’ve ever read,” he said. “That wasn’t too bad.”

I imagined dominos (that looked like books!) in a line so long, I couldn’t see the end. Helping a dad discover reading for fun was the first domino to tip. Let’s say he keeps reading, his kids see him reading and want to read with him, they ask for more books and grow up to be book lovers . . .  tip-tip-tip . . . Yes!

 

You won the Shutta Crum scholarship? What do you remember most about your trip to the “Big Apple”?

I remember feeling overwhelmed. Visiting Winnie the Pooh in New York public library, falling in love with Grand Central Station, spending time with SCBWI-MI friends and making new ones, eating mashed potatoes out of a martini glass, and of course, meeting editors and hearing from top shelf authors like Jane Yolen and Mo Willems. 

I’ll be honest, the “authors” I was least anxious to hear were Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton. Don’t get me wrong. I think Julie Andrews is brilliant as a singer and actress, but I assumed she was writing children’s books on a lark and capitalizing on her celebrity. (Wrong, Vicky!) 

Julie and Emma (like we’re on a first name basis, ha) actually made a point of saying how they work hard to make sure their books are the best they can be and not rely on Julie’s name. The more they shared, it was obvious they were legit and had a real admiration for children’s literature.

I’ll always be grateful to Shutta for making that whole experience possible. She’s a gem.

What WIP are you currently most excited about?

Right now, I’m working on two non-fiction projects. My comfy place is contemporary middle grade fiction, but then, I tripped over a couple of NF ideas demanding to be explored. I am so grateful for the non-fiction workshop hosted by SCBWI-MI in 2020 (just before “you know what” invaded!) I learned how to write a proposal, how to track sources and was exposed to the many ways to approach non-fiction.






You like to doodle in pen, creating paisley patterns. A form of relaxation, or focus, or just fooling around with pen and paper?

I discovered, entirely by accident, doodling helps me focus. Distracting my brain with doodling allows me to truly focus. Go figure! I might look like I’m bored and tuned out, but the reality is, I am more engaged. Without doodling, my overactive imagination gland goes into overdrive and distraction takes over. The trick for me is to doodle without any plan in mind. Just let it flow. Then I can focus. That’s normal, right?

 

You’re best known for your blog “Frog on a Dime,” which has been going strong for coming up on ten years. To what do you attribute its longevity?

Darcy Pattison presented at an SCBWI-MI conference eons ago, and she stressed the importance of establishing an online presence with a web site or a blog. I don’t have any published books to promote, so I decided I could start a blog that would be a source of encouragement, especially to pre-published writers like me. The need for encouragement is as strong as ever, so I that’s why I’m still at it. Plus, I’m certifiably stubborn. And that helps.

You’ve been pursuing publication for a long time. What keeps you going?

On a Saturday morning in January of 2022, I stumbled on this quote from Mary Oliver: “The most regretful people on earth are those who felt the call to creative work, who felt their own creative power restive and uprising, and gave to it neither power nor time.”

That flaaaaattened me. We’re talking steamroller followed by one of those Acme anvils. My poor husband. I was crying too hard to explain myself. Wow. When I finally got it together, I tried to express how painful Mary Oliver’s words were for me. For as much time as I’ve invested in my writing, it always needs more time than I can give. I’m never going to get there.


But by the end of that day, after I bought more Kleenex, I figured I could be miserable because I’m not published yet, or I can quit and be miserable wondering what would have happened if I’d kept trying just one more year. I chose the former because it has an ounce of hope left in it. The latter would be relentless torture.

In August of 2022, I got some unexpected encouragement. That’s all I want to say about that right now, but let’s just say, I may be glad I kept going.


Follow Vicky here:

Facebook.com/Vicky.Lorencen

 

@VickyLorencen (on Twitter)

 

 

17 comments:

  1. Vicky: What a lovely interview! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great article, I really enjoyed it

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Charlie is an excellent interviewer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Vicky. Love your backstory. And unexpected encouragement...dang, that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Rachel. Ever forward!

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness for unexpected encouragement that comes right when we need it! You will be glad you kept going. Thanks to both of you, Vicky and Charlie, for motivating and inspiring me all these years! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any kind of encouragement is always welcome, isn't it. Thank you for your kind words. Holiday happiness to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  4. Vicky, your story and life always inspire. Wow, did I ever need that Mary Oliver quote and your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Susan. We all need each other, don't we.

      Delete
  5. Vicky, so fun to learn more about you! Cheers to tissue boxes and supportive partners and to keeping on, keeping on. I'm clinking your tissue box, and can't wait to hear your news from August!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What inspiring words. Thank you. Meeting you out at the shop talk in the park was a highlight for me— sharing laughter, tips, and Andrea Wang's book Watercress. Truly an inspiration to be our best selves as writers. All the best on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a joy to meet you too, Kathleen. And wasn't it heartwarming to see Andrea's book receive the accolades it truly deserves. I just knew it was medal-bound! All good wishes to you and your muse in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You deserve the encouragement and more, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much, Vicky! (Almost as much as I love you!) You are an inspiration to me, and to so many more people. All the best to you in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! You're a brilliant cheerleader, my Friend.

      Delete