Sunday, September 18, 2022

Banned Books Week 2022 by Tara Michener

Books are works of art that teach, entertain, train, and enlighten. I always think about the significance of the books that encouraged as a young person. I especially appreciated learning about the relevance of culture for myself and for people who are different than me.

I recently was able to share the signed collection of Jerry Craft's New Kid and Class Act with my son. We read them together as a family. I was able to talk with Jerry last year and get them signed so I had been holding off on giving my son these books until his birthday. He loved seeing the special illustrations and the thoughtfulness that Jerry used in writing his special autographed inscription with my son's name on it. Jerry drew a graphic of one of his characters and the first thing that my son said when he saw it was...

"It is me!"  

When kids see themselves mirrored in books (especially kids that do not see themselves as main characters and heroes as much), it makes their experience more than special. It adds validation, it reminds them of possibility, and it clarifies that they are worthy of being highlighted. 

When I found out that these books were banned by some school districts, I scratched my head and sighed. I wondered why someone would try and take away the opportunity to read about these amazing characters. 

Banning books stops readers from having the opportunity to partake in stories that might enlighten them and it gives too much power to those who arbitrarily decide that they know best for all readers. None of us are exactly the same...this means that it is okay if we have different taste in books. 

Banned Books Week 2022 is September 18 – 24.



Tara Michener is the author of six children's books that focus on self-esteem, diversity and anti-bullying. She is a TEDx speaker, therapist and owns her own private practice in Novi, MI. Tara has been recognized in publications such as Prevention Magazine, Essence Magazine, FREEP and more! She is the Committee Chair of E&I at SCBWI-MI. Her favorite days usually include spending time with her hubistrator, Jason, her son Cannon and her favorite snack Twizzlers and Diet Coke. You can follow her on Twitter 
@Taramichener. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Tara, for sharing your son's experience to highlight the importance of books that have recently been challenged or banned as we begin Banned Books Week.

    For those who would like more information about SCBWI's work on banned books, check out these articles on the SCBWI website:
    https://www.scbwi.org/banned-books/
    https://www.scbwi.org/interrogating-the-2020-challenged-books-list/ https://www.scbwi.org/scbwi-partners-with-free-expression-network/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara for sharing your experience and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tara. I love hearing his reaction "It's me!"

    Some people think uncomfortable topics will go away if we just don't mention them. Kids need these books for a host of reasons. What a special experience your son had with Jerry. Wow.

    ReplyDelete