Tuesday, June 14, 2022

It Starts with Hello with Charlie Barshaw

My first SCBWI conference was a weekend stay at the Yarrow Golf Course and Conference Resort in 2010. I had a roommate who was not my wife, and a freshly-written novel about Friday the 13th.

Charlie Barshaw

As I stepped nervously up to the registration table, I was greeted with genuine warmth by Rachel Anderson, who seemed positively happy to see me, a complete stranger. I would later that weekend share a critique session with her and others, and it would be there that I’d hear an initial draft of what would become The Puppy Predicament.

Rachel’s warm smile and welcoming attitude got me started on what was soon to become a learning experience. I learned, for instance, that I snored so badly that my roommate packed up and stayed at a friend’s house Saturday night.

I also learned that my perfectly polished novel was not, in fact, polished or perfect, and I remember stewing in a miserable funk during the final session Sunday morning, counting the minutes until I could scurry from this place and give up writing for good.

Which, thank the Muse, I didn’t.

Mostly I learned that writing for kids is not for the lazy or thin-of-skin. On the flip-side, I learned that children’s book creators are some of the friendliest, sharing-est, best commiserators anywhere.

That first encounter (and I doubt she even remembers it) led to hundreds, thousands of heartfelt hugs and handshakes over the years since, and I embrace my SCBWI experience as a joyous journey of discovery.

Thanks, Rachel.

Charlie Barshaw is a published author of seven middle grade short stories on Amazon Rapids , pre-published author of several MG and YA novels, and an interviewer for the Writer Spotlight feature on The Mitten. Check out his website CharlieBarshaw.com.

 

Thank you, Charlie, for sharing your Hello story and relating your aha moment with a good dose of honesty—a necessary trait for any writer/illustrator who desires to grow and deepen their understanding of the art form. I love hearing these stories and it makes me think of both sides of the hello—the greeter and recipient. While it takes courage to attend that first event or an event where you don’t know anyone or only a few people, it also takes confidence on the part of the greeter to reach out, to break the ice, to move us from being strangers toward becoming professional colleagues and perhaps friends. May Charlie’s Hello story inspire you to take that first step!  

Has anyone made you feel welcomed to an SCBWI-MI event and made you feel like you mattered? Share your Hello story with the rest of us by sending a three-hundred word or less post to Outreach Coordinator, Isabel Estrada O’Hagin at ohaginib@gmail.com.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story, Charlie. I'm glad you kept up your writing after your first conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie, SCBWI-MI would not be the same without you. You always bring your warmth, humility, and cheer to our many tables. So grateful you came and that you stayed! Thanks, Rachel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate you and all you do for SCBWI-MI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie, we have benefited so much from your presence. I'm so glad you didn't give up. Hugs. S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie, I remember that event and meeting you like it was yesterday. So glad you stayed the course and learned with the rest of us who were, most likely, feeling the same about our manuscripts. SCBWI MI has been blessed with your presence. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie, you have been instrumental in making so many others welcome in SCBWI MI, not to mention bolstering the sharing and support throughout the state. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, Charlie! The snoring part made me laugh. Keep writing -- you're amazingly good at stringing words together. And I love how Rachel welcomed you and you have welcomed so many new people to the group. Love grows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story, Charlie, and so indicative of our warm, wonderful kidlit community. It does take courage and persistence to hang in there when the going is tough. And thank goodness for the many friendly ( and also courageous ) souls who bolster us up and offer their friendship and encouragement. Love these "hello" stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Charlie! May your story inspire future volunteers at registration tables--all of our volunteers play an important role in making a difference! Your smiles and friendly hellos light up many lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great to hear how you got your start with SCBWI. You and all the LAST group have made me feel so welcome. Whether on Zoom or in the park, meeting and sharing with everyone at differing stages of their journey has been such a blessing to me. And kudos on all your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a good man Charlie. I could tell from the moment that I met you. You are the real deal. Take care brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I don't know why it lists me as "Anonymous" but this is Dave Stricklen...

      Delete