Tuesday, March 8, 2022

On the Shelf by Tara Michener: How It Happens by Jean Alicia Elster

Jean Alicia Elster invites the reader into her own historical journey that is profound, educational, and inspirational. Jean has the ability to give the page turner the opportunity to get to know several characters and the many challenges they faced up close and personally.

 I am touched by the dialogue, because for me this story is both a window and a mirror. I recognized some familiar mentions when it came to Michigan landmarks and institutions and found a mirror in some of the background that I could relate to but I also found a window in understanding more about customs and traditions that I was not privy to even in my own state of origin. I found this read an honor to be able to review as the details are passed down with care like that of a special wedding dress or heirloom. 

Jean Alicia Elster
This book gives us the privilege of being able to follow a narrative beginning with Addie Jackson and ending with a promise that the story continues as I write these words. We are in Women's History Month. We are in March is Reading Month. This is a fantastic book to celebrate both. The content is YA so not for the younger ones but perfect for anyone else. 





On the Shelf is a monthly feature by E&I Chair, Tara Michener, highlighting books and authors that allow readers to both learn about cultures and people different than them but also to embrace the importance of representation and for each reader to have the opportunity to see themselves showcased in books as well.

Tara Michener is the author of six children's books that focus on self-esteem, diversity and anti-bullying. She is a TEDx speaker, therapist and owns her own private practice in Novi, MI. Tara has been recognized in publications such as Prevention Magazine, Essence Magazine, FREEP and more! She is the Committee Chair of E&I at SCBWI-MI. Her favorite days usually include spending time with her hubistrator, Jason, her son Cannon and her favorite snack Twizzlers and Diet Coke. You can follow her on Twitter @Taramichener. 





2 comments:

  1. Perfect choice for this edition of On The Shelf, Tara! I've recommended this book to many friends for the Michigan connection but also for the viewpoint and characterization. Excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tara for highlighting this book. I have a copy on the way and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete