Sunday, December 5, 2021

Featured Illustrator Brianne Farley




Can you tell us about the process of designing the new banner for the SCBWI-MI website? What was your inspiration? Can you share any early sketches?




Sure! Rebecca and Katie reached out to me about creating a new logo and banner. They were so nice to work with, and gave me a ton of creative leeway. I wanted to draw something to represent the entire state of Michigan and all the creative members of SCBWI MI, which felt pretty intimidating. Sometimes, when I have SO MANY options, my mind goes totally blank. 
So I started listing things associated with Michigan--the state bird, state flower, state reptile (the painted turtle!), Motown, cars, the Great Lakes--and things I love about Michigan. Living in Traverse City, I am always inspired by the water and the dunes. I tried a bunch of different directions for this logo, but ultimately decided to draw what I know and love.





You were also the featured illustrator in The Mitten in 2017. What’s changed for you between then and now? (Feel free to include anything, professionally or personally, including the books you’ve had published.)
Yes, thank you! That was a fun project too. Since then, a couple books I've illustrated have come out, I've done some murals, and I got married! Getting married came with a very nice guy, a move across town, and a cute dog. I made a mural for my favorite bar and food
truck spot, Little Fleet, a lovely chocolate shop called Grocer's Daughter, and the new climbing gym, Elev8. The books I've illustrated since then include Charlotte the Scientist is Squished and Charlotte the Scientist Finds a Cure, both by Camille Andros; Building Books by Megan Wagner Lloyd; Dozens of Donuts by Carrie Finison; and No Buddy Like a Book by Allan Wolf. Right now I'm working on writing and illustrating a book. I haven't sent the manuscript and dummy off to my agent yet, but I have my fingers crossed it works out.

Is there anything else you’d like to share? I'm not sure about anyone else, but the pandemic was pretty rough on me creatively. This book I'm working on has been VERY slow going, but it's nearly ready to send out. I think some people go through stressful times and are inspired by it (see: the blues and heartbreak ballads), and others are impeded. If you felt laid low or slowed down in your creative work, you're not alone!


Website and social media links? My website is briannefarley.com. Twitter is @briannefarley and Instagram is @briannehfarley (my middle initial is "H").

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you and your art, Brianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the banner you created, Brianne! Thanks for sharing more about your process, and struggles too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Struggle is my middle creativity name so your post spoke to me, Brianne! Thanks for tackling this important project for SCBWI-MI and giving us a unique, fresh look.

    ReplyDelete