Monday, November 1, 2021

NaNoWriMo 2021 by Tara Michener

What has 50,000 words, is in November and is bound to make you a better writer? NaNoWriMo!


NaNoWriMo is National November Novel Writing Month and is quickly approaching. Why do I love it? I participated in NaNoWriMo in 2011 and the benefits were many. I had to really hone in on my discipline…this meant that my favorite shows and social media surfing had to take a back seat and my free time was scheduled for my manuscript ideas and word count. It made me a better writer but also it helped me with my confidence. I had never written a book with so many words before and this experience taught me that I could do it and actually appreciate the content that I developed and that others would too. My NaNoWriMo book is NO LONGER BESTIES AND OTHER ASSORTED TEENAGE DRAMA. I just got to do a presentation on it this month and I like to inspire people by sharing with them that without NaNoWriMo it may not have happened. So…do you have 50,000 words in you? You may never know until you start. Join me this November 1stand let’s encourage each other by using the hashtag #nanowrimo on Twitter. The weather will be colder but hopefully you are getting warmer when it comes to your next book. 



Tara Michener is the author of six children's books that focus on self-esteem, diversity and anti-bullying. She is a TEDx speaker, therapist and owns her own private practice in Novi, MI. Tara has been recognized in publications such as Prevention Magazine, Essence Magazine, FREEP and more! She is the Committee Chair of E&I at SCBWI-MI. Her favorite days usually include spending time with her hubistrator, Jason, her son Cannon and her favorite snack Twizzlers and Diet Coke. You can follow her on Twitter 
@Taramichener.  





We're pleased to announce the 2022 SCBWI-MI mentorships will be for novels. The mentors are Patrick Flores-Scott and Kelly J. Baptist. All SCBWI members who live in MI for at least part of the year are eligible to apply. The submission window opens on April 25, 2022. See the website for more information. 





1 comment:

  1. Tara, thanks for this boost of confidence! Let's see what you've got, friends!
    Then, the mentorships will be waiting for the product of NaNoWriMo in April. Michigan, you've got it going on.

    ReplyDelete