Friday, May 21, 2021

Congrats to the 2021 Members for Members Scholarship Winners!

 


Last year, the SCBWI-MI E&I Team sponsored our first-ever Members for Members Scholarship Awards to support inclusivity in children's literatureThe scholarship awards a one-year SCBWI membership to a Michigan writer or illustrator. Thanks to generous donations from our members and community we were able to continue the tradition in 2021 by funding four more scholarships! We asked the winners to tell us what they're working on, what they're looking forward to, and how the SCBWI membership will help their author or illustrator journey. Meet the awardees below!


Orezime Uyeh

What I’m Working On…
I am currently working on a teacher’s guide and a coloring/activity book for my children’s picture book, “Girls For Medicine.”
 
What I’m Looking Forward to…
With my SCBWI membership, I look forward to attending various webinars, workshops and conferences. I am excited to interact with other indie authors in my region and get really helpful advice on getting my book(s) out there.
 
How the SCWBI membership will help my author-illustrator journey…
Being a SCBWI member will motivate me to take my writing and illustrations to another level! This membership will allow me to finally explore my interest in creating chapter books and graphic novels for kids. I cannot wait to learn more from other SCBWI members who are experts in these book formats.





Ann Dallman

As for what I'm working on? Well, this past year (and my mother's death) slowed me down a bit. I am almost through with the first draft of my second book about Cady, continuing where Cady and the Bear Necklace left off. It's really weird but I hear her voice when I'm writing so I'm working at her pace, that of a 13-year-old girl. Sometimes I want to keep going but it's as if I hear her say, "Nope, that's enough for today."

I appreciate the scholarship very much as it allows me to continue as a member of SCBWI. I am delighted and thrilled to be a member of this fantastic organization and have even brought in two new members! I have learned so much through their postings and, pre-pandemic, through area meet-ups. It's just an outstanding group.

How does it help me on my writing journey? SCBWI provides almost daily encouragement through its emails, postings and online conferences. I love it!



Amy O’Hanlon

Hello! I'm Amy and I am an author and illustrator passionate about creating introspective and empathetic stories that incorporate my love of fantasy and magical realism as well as my experiences as a mixed race person.  

Thank you SCBWI Michigan for the Members 4 Members scholarship. SCBWI has been an integral part of my journey and I am grateful to be able to continue to learn and grow from this community, especially as the interest and opportunities for graphic novels increase!









PJ Bass

I am working on a children's picture book depicting a week of fun-filled activities between an African American father and his son. I am looking forward to the SCBWI membership to cultivate and further enhance my writing and the outcomes it creates. I am convinced that social interactions between creatives can only be a mutually enriching and beneficial experience. I remain open to learning as a mentor and inspiring new authors.









Congrats again to the awardees! SCBWI and our Michigan chapter offer numerous scholarships throughout the year. Learn more at:

and

While you're on our SCBWI-MI website, explore the calendar on the home page to stay current on upcoming events. You can also find time-limited recordings to previous webinars such as this one from Dave Stricklen: How to Rock Your School Visits.







5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Such happy smiling faces in the pics. Makes me proud to be a member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Congrats for joining or renewing your SCBWI-Michigan membership! Welcome to our new members! Stay creative!

    Isabel Estrada O'Hagin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, MichKid Friends!

    Your donations will keep this wonderful effort alive! Last year we had a Shop Talk challenge, several small donations--every dollar counts!--and a creative individual who donated $5.00 from each book sold at one special event. You can find our how-to-donate information on our E & I page on our SCBWI-MI website!

    Share a little love!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to all of you. Keep pressing forward with your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to the awardees and to our members for supporting this initiative and the work of Michigan creatives!

    ReplyDelete