Friday, November 6, 2020

Sandy Carlson Continues Her Adventure of Life


Mitten blog co-editor, Charlie Barshaw is here to show our appreciation for a long-time SCBWI-MI member who's in the process of moving out of state. Read on for Charlie's interview with Sandy Carlson, and please join us in wishing her well. Stay in touch, Sandy!


Sandy Carlson Continues Her Adventure of Life by Writing About It


You’re currently living in a donated mobile home while you await your move. What are the joys and challenges you face in this environment?

 

I am a writer in transition. We sold our Battle Creek house in July, moved into a borrowed RV in the country in August, and will be moving to Wisconsin at the end of October to be near the grandkids.

 

We had never spent the night in an RV before moving in here. Internet service was advertised at this RV park, but maybe once a week for 15 minutes I can get on the server. The park is 20 minutes from town. We have one vehicle. Husband still works in town. Our  desktop computer is boxed up for the move. My husband transferred his work data to my laptop, which he either takes to work or works on here in the RV. Therefore, no Internet (unless I go to town) and no computer (except my iPhone). This transition from working full-time as a writer to not being able to write for 2 1/2 months (longer if you count the packing, moving, and unpacking) has been very interesting. However, I now have a whole new set of (RV) characters to write into future stories.

 

Transition. Adapting.  Surviving as a writer.

 

I still manage to write two blogs a week, my Sandy Carlson one, my shorter S. L. Carlson one, and occasionally for my publisher’s blog. I use the note pad on my iPhone, then cut and paste it when I get get to town with Internet access.

 

 

Why does C. S. Lewis‘s work affect you so deeply?

 

I see him as a Renaissance Man. As a writer, he is generally known for three genres: children’s fantasy, adult science fiction, and Christian theology. He was ever-learning, constantly adapting to circumstances. I, too, write in many genres, including personal essays, aka, blogs.

 

What is the world you envisioned in the war unicorn chronicles?

 

In my four war unicorn books (small press),


I envision 12th Century European, with living fantasy creatures and magic. Of course, the political structures, money, and places are made up, but based on places I’ve been. There will be more war unicorn stories coming.

 

Each of my stories take place in the out-of-doors. We have only tent camped before, and have had many wilderness experiences — all good stuff for future stories.

 

For instance...

A couple of days after Jeff and I were married, we backpacked into Mark Twain national forest in Arkansas. We’d hiked about four hours before deciding to rest on a fallen log at the a meadow’s edge.  It wasn’t long before we discovered an interesting species of the area: the seed tick. These itty-bitty arachnids fairly covered our bodies including under our underwear. We stripped naked and proceeded to brush, then burn, hundreds of the tiny ticks off of us. 

 

That night, we slept in the open meadow where we figured there were no ticks. We were correct, but what we hadn’t counted on was Sasquatch.

 

In our two-man backpacking tent we laid for a couple hours listening to some creature charge down the hill at our tent, snorting and stopping within a foot or two of it before walking to the top of the hill to recharge. Years later, we were talking with an Arkansas farmer who identified the creature we heard as a wild boar. Every year, people are killed by wild boars. I have yet to write about ticks or boars in my stories, but it is more writing fodder.

 

What inspired you to write Michigan middle grade historical fiction?

 

An elderly friend related to me of growing up in the Saugatuck area, and as a child, running down the sand dunes to jump into the Kalamazoo River.
Sometimes a rooftop from the old town of Singapore would be visible. Other times it was gone and another had appeared. Fascinating. I spent many hours doing doing paper research in libraries, as well as time at the location itself. I need to visit the sites I write about, and meditate in that area, trying to imagine what life would’ve been like there in an earlier age.

 

What inspired you to write Time Sisters for an older audience?

 


This survival story idea came to me decades ago, similar to Hunger Games in content, so more mature than middle grade. One must follow that writing urge and see a story through to the end, whether you like it or not. Although not my writing level of preference, I wrote it out; entered it into contests with very good reviews; revised it so many times; editors nibbled at it, and commented on it; more revisions; and I finally just threw it out as a whole novel to an Amazon.

 

What advice do you have for writers considering the Indie Publishing route?

 

If you have the time and endurance to hold out, do not go the Indie route. It takes much time and money to pursue this. I would much rather be writing.

 

What are your plans for the future?

 

My future plans are to survive this RV transition; get significantly moved in at our new Wisconsin location; love up my grandkids; contact the WI-SCBWI; and continue writing till I die.



Sandy Carlson Website & Blog: www.sandycarlson.com

S. L. Carlson Fantasy Blog: https://authorslcarlson.wordpress.com

Twitter: @sandycarl

Pinterest boards: http://www.pinterest.com/authorsandycarl/

FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/sandycarl

Email: sandycarl642@yahoo (dot) com


Coming up this weekend:



2 comments:

  1. Best, best wishes to you, Sandy! Michigan will miss you, but we are glad you're only across the Lake! Wisconsin is very fortunate to have you coming their way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been an important part of the Michigan SCBWI group, but I want to wish you the best - especially with the grandchild part (and always your writing) but those grandkids will bring out the best in your future characters. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete