Friday, October 2, 2020

Featured Illustrator Wendy Berry

 



MEET WENDY


This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.





1. Your present state of mind?

Anxious


2. What do you do best?

I like to think I’m a good problem solver.


3. Where would you like to live?

I’ve lived in other states, but I’ll always think of Michigan as my home.  It’s not just the location, it’s the people. 


4. Your favorite color?

Blueish purple


5. Three of your own illustrations:

 



















6. Your music?

I love old standards, Louis Prima, Peggy Lee, Hank Williams, but I also like contemporary music and everything in between. I don’t listen to music while I draw though, I listen to books on tape.  Books keep me seated and working a little longer.


7. Your biggest achievement?

Definitely my three boys.  They are good people and I’m thankful for them.


8. Your biggest mistake?

Not starting my illustration career earlier.


9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?

I used to love “Gus was a friendly Ghost”, by Jane Thayer.  Then when I got into chapter books, it was “Half Magic”, by Edward Eager.


10. Your main character trait?

Optimism, but that might be optimistic to think that.


11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?

A good sense of humor.  Everyone needs someone to laugh with.


12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?

That’s hard to answer, I guess I’d want you to be more specific. I hope that doesn’t making me an unforgiving person.


13. Your favorite children's book hero?

Hagrid from the Harry Potter series, because he is sometimes misguided, but always kind.


14. What moves you forward?

Myself, always getting ideas and wanting to bring them to fruition.


15. What holds you back?

Time, there is never enough.


16. Your dream of happiness?

Knowing those I love are happy and safe.


17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?

Chris Van Allsburg, Yvonne Gilbert, Inga Moore, Maurice Sendak, I really can’t pick just one.  If I think too hard about it, I’ll come up with more, Jan Brett, Susan Jeffers, Anton Pieck, Edward Gorey.


18. What super power would you like to have?

Time Travel, going back in time to talk with loved ones that have passed would be wonderful.


19. Your motto?

You should never be bored, if you are then you need to work on your imagination.


20. Your social media?

Wendyberryart.com

Facebook.com/wendyberryart

 


11 comments:

  1. Nice to "meet" you, Wendy! Thanks so much for giving our Mitten blog a new fall banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Wendy Berry! You were originally part of the Writer Spotlight, but I'm really glad you got a spotlight of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wendy! Your illustrations are marvelous! They have a texture to them that makes the viewer want to touch the picture! Thank you for sharing both your art and your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful banner and gorgeous work! And I agree that there's just never enough time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you Wendy. Thanks for sharing a bit of you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see more of your beautiful work, Wendy, and learn more about you. Thanks for sharing both. LOVE the banner and the story it is telling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Wendy! There is such a tender sense of wonder to your illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you, Wendy! Love the rabbits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Wendy and her family are great people! (Still miss our before school chat sessions). Wendy's illustrations are amazing! I love her animal drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the nice compliments. I loved drawing the header!

    ReplyDelete