Friday, September 4, 2020

Writer Spotlight: Three New Members


Charlie Barshaw coordinates our quarterly Writer Spotlight feature and interviews writers of SCBWI-MI. In this piece, meet three new to SCBWI-MI writer/illustrators: Michelle Nunley, Anna Lunt and Alice Wilds.


Three New(er) Members Tell You a Story and Draw You a Picture

 
Alice Wilds

Alice Wilds

Who or what influenced your drive to create images for children?
When I was younger, I would always draw a flop-eared rabbit. One day I was looking at painting I had made with my father when I was in the fourth grade of that little rabbit. The idea came to me that I should do something with my little bunny, so I created Katie and Darcy twin bunnies with long floppy ears who love going on adventures.



Artwork by Alice Wilds


What path did your life take to bring you to this moment?
I had always wanted to write books, but I was told that I should get another dream for I am dyslexic. My teachers did not think I had what it would take. So I tried cake decorating instead but I found I hate baking. I tried a few other odd jobs but I always came back to wanting to create children's books. It may be hard work, but I love it and would not want to do anything else.

How did you discover SCBWI?
I was at a craft fair at a library where some members of SCBWI were selling their books. It was a very slow fair, and one of them wandered over to my table. She told me she used to be a teacher for creative writing. With great care, she looked over my book and told me I had talent and that I should join SCBWI. So I did.



What are you working on right now?
Right now I am working on a series of picture books about two twin bunnies who like to go on adventures. My books are a mixed media of photographs and hand-drawn illustrations. In the next book, I will be introducing new characters. Three raccoon brothers will be coming to give a little playful mischief to Acorn Valley.

What dream do you embrace for your future?
My goal is to write many more books featuring the friends of Acorn Valley. I dream of being able to share my love of my cute little critters with children from all walks of life.

Anna Lunt 

Who or what influenced your drive to create images for children?
Simply put, I aspire to illustrate picture books because I love picture books!
One of the relics I treasure from my childhood is a picture book gifted to me by a family friend. It’s called Little Mouse’s Painting and it is about a mouse who paints a picture but her friends-- a bear, squirrel, and porcupine-- argue their interpretations of what she painted because they see themselves in the blueberry bush, flower and sunshine. This book has beautiful, truthful writing and artwork. This book, along with so many others, inspire my desire to create beautiful stories that resonate with readers. I'm in love with the world of picture book art with its layers, creativity, and fun.
Some of the authors/illustrators “mentors” I look up to include: Kit Chase, Sophie Blackall, Sarah Jane Wright, Anna Williams, and Catherine Rayner. I’m very curious about learning to tell stories visually like they do and I feel like I have this desire for a reason.
Anna Lunt

What path did your life take to bring you to this moment?
I studied art in high school, but decided not to pursue it in college as I majored in Speech Language Pathology for my undergrad at BYU. I knew I didn’t necessarily want to be a SLP but I did gravitate to language acquisition and reading acquisition within my studies. I also managed to wriggle my way into children’s literature and creative writing classes that weren’t for my major. I consider it no small coincidence that I ended up in Rick Walton’s writing picture book class my senior year. After college, I decided to stay home as we were expecting our first baby and my husband was in grad school. I believe that was the first year I participated in PiBoIdMo (now StoryStorm) hosted by Tara Lazar.
Artwork by Anna Lunt
Fast forward and I’ve been working off and on writing and creating art for nearly 10 years as I’ve been raising our little readers. About 2 ½ years ago I began showing up consistently when I joined a writing group that met monthly. This supportive group of friends has been instrumental in me diving deeper into developing as a writer. Then, this year I felt the pull to finally hunker down and dedicate myself to doing more than just dabble in art. Our fourth child was born in December and it hasn’t been easy to jump back into creating artwork. Perfectionism has been a beast to overcome, but I’ve worked hard to shift my thinking to a growth mindset. It's taken months of work, but I can finally say that I’m enjoying being a beginner!




How did you discover SCBWI?

I first learned about SCBWI in college, and I am filled with chagrin that I did not join sooner. It wasn’t until this year that I felt the drive to dedicate time to developing professionally and I’m glad I finally joined! I’ve learned so much from being a part of this organization. This year has been unusual and I’m sad to not be able to attend meetings in person, but there have also been so many resources for learning and connecting online!

What are you working on right now?
There is so much in the works right now and I’m excited about it all! This year I decided my focus would be to lay a foundation for my work by building good habits. I started by writing and drawing every day. Then I discovered having a daily spiritual practice of praying, studying scriptures, and also practicing meditation and yoga made a huge difference in my creativity. I’m also learning to manage my time by planning out my tasks.
Artwork by Anna Lunt
As I've developed good habits of showing up, my confidence has increased and my style is starting to emerge. Right now I’m creating a portfolio and I also have a website in the works. I plan to begin submitting my dummies soon! Some of the stories I am working on include a fable about an otter who wants to learn how to fly, an artistic goat who discovers color as spring unfolds, and a little girl who has a school for birds.


What dream do you embrace for your future?
I dream of my stories becoming books, but I also dream of continuing the dream I’m living right now: creating daily and enjoying the journey of development and growth.
I also hope to help others who want to create books for children. I believe a natural byproduct of reading to and caring for children is to have book ideas, but many don’t know what to do with those ideas to cultivate them and help them grow. Most people just don’t get around to it. Perhaps I can create a gateway to guide them to the joy of creating stories of their own.


 Michelle Boggess-Nunley



Who or what influenced your drive to create images for children?

Creating images for children is so much more rewarding (and fun!) than creating images for adults. They dont care if the art matches the sofa or what  material the frame is made out of.


Wizard World Book Two Cover Art by Michele Nunley

Children are much simpler and act on feelings. Images can make a child laugh out loud, stories can make them dance and cry. Theres magic in creating for children. I also have a 4 year old daughter, Mia, and an 8 year old step-son, Zeke, that are excellent book critics of my work.

What path did your life take to bring you to this moment?

I began my career path in a corporate world. Always feeling a little misplaced and needing more, one day I decided to do the thing I had been too afraid to dobecome an artist.


Cardboard Rodeo by Michelle Nunley
  
Eventually being able to rely on art sales, showing my art nationally and internationally, things started to work. I had an interest in painting children, and developed a storybookstyle. My paintings featured children flying in cardboard boxes and goats at the beach with shark fins on their backs. I painted a lot about friendship and diversity. This is what inspired my first book, I am a Lenny. A childrens book that celebrates differences. It just kind of grew from there. 

How did you discover SCBWI?

I discovered SCBWI while looking for resources to create childrens books. Being self-taught and throwing myself into childrens book creating on a heart-pull, I realized quickly that Id need a solid community in my corner. Though I have barely scratched the surface on what SCBWI offers, theyve been invaluable in finding support and the fundamental resources


Underwater Excursion by Michelle Nunley


needed that eventually helped me find an agent and a publishing agreement for my books. SCBWI is an essential part of my path as an author/illustrator and a fantastic community of other authors and illustrators to share experiences, work, and support.

What are you working on right now?

I am currently working on breaking the record for the Worlds Largest Hand-Drawn Maze with Guinness World Records, to benefit youth art programs in my community. Because of COVID-19, a lot of our resources have been exhausted, leaving lack of funding for the art programs that are so important to kids. I teamed up with a local non-profit, a team of 40+ working artists, in an effort to keep these art programs in place. People will be able to sponsor a square foot of the maze as its being created. The entire event will be live over the period of 2 months (or so) and recorded, following the strict guidelines from Guiness. (Link on my website: www.boggessart.com)  Amongst this, I am also currently working on creating a 3rd book in my maze book series Wizard World: A Magical Land of Illustrated Mazes,


What dream do you embrace for your future?
Treasure Hunters by Michelle Nunley



The dream that I embrace for the future is to continue doing exactly what I am now, forever. I feel that Ive finally found the path that Im supposed to be on, creating books for children and helping their imaginations grow. 



Since the interview, CBS ran a 2 minute special on the Worlds Largest Hand Drawn-Maze to support youth art programs in Detroit. There’s also a little video here: https://www.facebook.com/100000925632387/posts/4325084304199048/?





2 comments:

  1. So fun to learn more about you, Alice, Anna, and Michelle, and your amazing art! Keep going! Thanks, Charlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to SCBWI-MI, Alice, Anna, and Michelle! It's nice to learn more about you and your work, and we're all looking forward to the time when we can all meet each other live and in-person again.

    ReplyDelete