Friday, May 22, 2020

Featured Illustrator Rebecca Howe

MEET REBECCA

This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.



1. Your present state of mind?

Tired, excited, hopeful

2. What do you do best?

Believe in impossible things.

3. Where would you like to live?

A warm place near water with nice people.

4. Your favorite color?

I can’t choose just one. Colors make me feel different things.

5. Three of your own illustrations:





6. Your music?

I’ve been going back to India Arie, Tracy Chapman, May Erlewine, Leon Bridges and Passenger a lot lately when I’m working or trying to be chill. We have a lot of family karaoke and dance parties that involve BeyoncĂ©, Sia, Alessia Cara, Meghan Trainor and musical soundtracks like The Greatest Showman and Small Foot and many more. Also, I really want to try to figure out how to play Love by Cynthia Hopkins on piano. (Please email me if you figure this out!!)


7. Your biggest achievement?

Learning to forgive and accept myself and others.

8. Your biggest mistake?

Judging people.

9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?

I mostly watched tv as a kid, but when my 5th grade teacher read The BFG (and many other books) to us, a seed was planted. I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as a senior in high school and eventually convinced my English teacher (who hated my constant interruptions and challenges to her classics) to teach them.

10. Your main character trait?

Uh...  I’m not sure I have one.

11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?

Resonance.

12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?

Those made for the sake of learning and helping.

13. Your favorite children's book hero?

Olivia, Matilda, Penpen and Tilly from The Canning Season, Mia Tang from Front Desk, Snap from Snapdragon

14. What moves you forward?

Dreams and purpose

15. What holds you back?

Illness.

16. Your dream of happiness?

Physical and emotional ease, however that manifests.

17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?

I can’t pick just one! I love so many illustrators and artists so let me tell you about some of the ones I admire most and have the pleasure of calling friends: Vanessa Brantley Newton, Kirbi Fagan, Amy O’Hanlon, Heidi Woodward Sheffield, Jenn K. Mann, Elizabeth Stanton.


18. What super power would you like to have?

As a kid I spent a lot of time imagining I could fly and had suction cups on my fingers and toes. As an adult I wish I had the power to understand meaning and insight the first time I try or experience things.

19. Your motto?

Choosing just one of anything feels limiting. I love the Poetry and writings of Maya Angelou, Nayyirah Waheed, Robin Wall Kimmerer, and others.

20. Your social media?

Instagram: @rebeccarhowe
Twitter: @rebeccahowe

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Becca for giving our chapter blog a new summer banner full of wonder in the midst of the pandemic crisis! Thank you Nina for continuing to coordinate this quarterly feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super duper love this. The banner is fantastic and I really enjoy your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to learn more about you, Becca. Love the spring discovery panel banner, and all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you , Rebecca! So good to see your art work and your smiling face after all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your art samples, Rebecca, here and on your instagram feed. Keep scratching out time for it even now. We need to see your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the banner. And your art work is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete