Friday, December 13, 2019

Writer Spotlight: Tara Michener

Charlie Barshaw coordinates our quarterly Writer Spotlight feature and interviews writers of SCBWI-MI. In this piece, meet author and counselor Tara Michener.


"From Bullied to Builder":  Tara Michener allows those who do not feel seen to be acknowledged

Tara Michener at the Michigan International Women's Show

In your Ted X talk, “From Bullied to Builder,” you describe when a younger Tara is led into an ambush and a bloody beating by a former friend. Do you see this incident as a defining event in setting your future course?  See TEDxDetroit video HERE

Unfortunately this situation showed me that bullying can occur in many ways both directly and indirectly. I was physically hurt by specific aggressors and they were obvious but I was bullied in a way that involves relational aggression by several people that I trusted who lured me into harm's way and navigated my trust by using emotionally damaging and deceptive tactics. Those people who were just as complicit as the physical abusers were not as obvious.  My physical scars healed much quicker than the ones that hurt me mentally. In no way am I happy that I was a victim of bullying and relational aggression but I am grateful that I learned how to channel the lessons into developing education opportunities and resources for others who have been impacted by similar circumstances.


You are such a vibrant, caring and optimistic person today, it’s hard to imagine anyone choosing to bully you and make you feel less than, but it happened. Is every child at risk for bullying? And what can children and parents do to combat this oppressive practice?

Well thank you! I appreciate your kind description. I think that personality, appearance, background and other factors do not necessarily protect a person from being a candidate to be bullied. I often hear parents say "no one would ever bully my child because..." and they may give multiple reasonings...in the same way I hear people say "I want my child to be like (fill in the blank) so that they do not get bullied". The truth is that anyone can bully a person for any reason and instead of teaching a child how not to be bullied I think it is important to teach proper coping skills, resilience training, and healthy strategies that are therapeutically appropriate so that when challenges come-thriving can still be an option. Counseling and professional support is not a bad idea if it feels like a parent is lost and I hope to continue to do work to reduce the stigma of seeking help.
  
2008 saw the publication of “Who I Am Not What I Am.” That message seems important to you; your 2009 book “100% Real” is subtitled a “Who I Am Not What I Am book.” And that’s even part of your email address What does Who I Am mean to you?

Tara and her picture book,
"Who I Am Not What I Am"
When these books were introduced I felt as though representation was on the lower end when it came to picture books with kids who looked like I did and who would resemble my future kid. I also saw a void in specific issues being addressed around race, bullying, inclusion and more. I wanted to make sure that anyone who read my books felt like they could either relate personally to my characters and if they could not that at least they could learn from them. I wanted people not to simply see stereotypes when they read my stories but to evolve their thinking into seeing that people are deeper than "what" you see on the outside" but take the time to understand "who" they are on the inside. 

In 2010 “Summer Camp Survival” was published, where a girl named Mackenzie must make adjustments during a summer camp experience. It’s a chapter book, aimed at an older audience than the first two picture books. What made you adjust your focus to that age group?

I have always wanted my work to reach the span of the youth market. I thought the best way to stay relevant and integral to my readers was to have opportunities that they could turn to as they grew up. I did not want the kids who read my picture books to no longer have a reason to pick up a title from me because it was too immature.
Tara and son Cannon and husband Jason

2011 saw “No Longer Besties” published, and 2012, “Teen Life Crisis.” These are novels of increasing length and complexity for teens They’re issue novels, dealing with adoption, death, role reversals “and other assorted Teenage Drama.”Why did you feel the need to address children from preschool to high school?

The picture books deal with these same issues in a way but in a more simple and optimistic format. As young people grow the same issues exist but they exhibit themselves in more complicated ways. I needed to make sure that I evolved my books to allow the reader to be able to grow in understanding and I want them to know that I trust them to be faced with complex content.  

Tara and Cannon
You’ve got a list of accomplishments a mile long. What drives you?

I am driven to allow those who do not feel seen to be acknowledged. I want my son to see hard work and the fruit of it and I feel that wasted talent is ungrateful.   



Tara Michener, MA, LPC, NCC 
Tara Michener is the Author of the "Who I am" Series & Teen Books By Tara. She has a B.A. in Journalism & Public Relations from Madonna University. She has a M.A. in Counseling with specialized courses in child and adolescent therapy from Oakland University. Michener is the Founder of Students Against Bullying at Oakland University. She is the Founder of Dream Esteem Detroit Project providing empowerment resources for young people. She Founded UnBully Engagements-conferences that inform, educate & solution build.









Charlie Barshaw submitted his YA novel to a big-time literary agent. While he's waiting to hear back, he's putting the finishing touches on his MG novel about a squirrel invasion.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating post, Tara and Charlie. Thank you for sharing your story, Tara, and your goals for a better community. As the parent of a child who was bullied through relational aggression and shaming, I appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete