Friday, June 14, 2019

Painless Self-Promotion: Lessons Learned from a Debut Book Launch





Girls with Guts: The Road to Breaking Barriers and Bashing Records launched on May 14, just a few short weeks ago. Since then, I’ve been out and about celebrating my debut in several public events – and I have enjoyed every minute of the experience. I’ve also learned a few things along the way, three tips that you might find to be helpful, too.



Tip #1 – Just Roll with It:

I’ve learned that presenters have little to no control over the environment established in the venue. For instance, one of the launch events was held in a shopping mall. Not inside a quaint little shop or a quiet corner of the mall, mind you. No. Instead, rows of seats and signing tables were staged smack dab in the middle of a well-trafficked area without mics, to boot.

The original plan was present in an intimate “story time” type of setting. Uh…that just wasn’t going to happen. So, instead, I punted. Rather than performing a word-by-word recitation of the story, I (loudly) summarized each page, all the while moving in and out of the group in an animated fashion, engaging the kids by attempting to pull them into the story. In the end, the event was a rousing success! Kids were happy. Parents were smiling. Tons of books were signed. It was fun!

Tip #2 – Let Opportunity Lead:

One of the bookstore events was scheduled to be held mid-morning on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, and weather was simply glorious! Bright sunny skies. Warm gentle breezes. The perfect day for a walk in the park, OUTDOORS. Well, as you might guess, the attendance numbers were low. Some things are just not in our control, right?

Rather than being bummed about the crowd size, I used the opportunity to genuinely focus on the terrific folks who chose to come by to support my debut author journey. I studied the color of their eyes as we talked. As a result of being grateful and enjoying the moment, I met a kid blogger who has twice posted about the book and I found out about a cool program for teachers hosted by the store, one in which I can serve as a presenter!

Tip #3 – Be Self-Sufficient: 

I’ve discovered that, though there seems to be a great deal of energetic enthusiasm surrounding the promotion of the launch, the bookstore staff may not share in the buzz. The event coordinator was out of pocket when I first arrived at one of the events. The first person I spoke with worked in the cafe’ and (understandably so) seemed to have little interest in helping me set up. She kindly directed me to podium and then I busied myself making a nest. I pulled out my computer and swag, tidied up the podium, and arranged the stage as best I thought it would function well. After some time, the event coordinator arrived and, together, we cheerfully made things happen. In the end, all went well.

Overall, this book launching experience has left me consumed by a deep sense of gratitude. I’m thankful for the kind souls who have made it priority to attend each event, appreciative for those behind the scenes who have organized all the moving parts and humbled by all the love and support that has come my way. I can’t wait to do more of them!


Debbie Gonzales is a career educator, curriculum consultant, former school administrator, adjunct professor, and once served as a SCBWI RA for the Austin Chapter. Deb currently devotes her time to writing middle grade novels, crafting educator guides with Guides by Deb, producing The Debcast (a podcast dedicated to the empowering spirit of the female athlete) and various freelance projects. She’s the author of six “transitional” readers for New Zealand publisher, Giltedge, and the non-fiction picture book Girls with Guts: The Road to Breaking Barriers and Bashing Records (Charlesbridge, 2019). Deb currently serves as board member for the Michigan Reading Association. She earned her MFA in writing for children and young adults from the Vermont College of Fine Arts. Learn more about Deb by accessing www.debbiegonzales.com.

Did you miss Debbie's previous Painless Self-Promotion posts? Click on the links below to read her entire series:

Want to learn more? KidLit 411 devoted an entire section of their website to resources for marketing and creating a platform: http://www.kidlit411.com/2014/01/creating-platform.html


Coming up on the Mitten blog: 

We're heading into a more relaxed schedule for the summer months, but we still have plenty of posts ahead, including a new Featured Illustrator, Hugs and Hurrahs, and much more. Follow our blog and never miss a post - simply enter your email on the right sidebar.


Happening now: 2019 Summer Art Show

Congrats to the SCBWI-MI illustrators with artwork featured at the Saline District Library! Shutta Crum is the guest speaker for the reception on June 23rd, and the artwork will be on display all summer. Please spread the word and visit if you're in the area:







5 comments:

  1. Love these tips, Deb G. (for Graciousness and Gonzalez :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned from the best, Carrie. YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the tips and perspective, Deb! Congrats on a successful book launch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your insights, Debbie. I love learning from debut author's experience. Maybe sometime you can share about how what you're doing on your social media platforms are helping or ones that you don't think are useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So positive in all these challenging situations. Thank you for sharing your upbeat perspectives Deb!

    ReplyDelete