Friday, April 5, 2019

Featured Illustrator Melissa Bailey



MEET MELISSA

This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.




1. Your present state of mind?
Relaxed, with an undercurrent of anxiety because we’re days away from April 15 and my taxes aren’t done yet. (See question 15.)

2. What do you do best?
Smile.

3. Where would you like to live?
There are so many fantasy places, but really, having lived away from them, I prefer to live close by family and friends. I like living in Michigan.

4. Your favorite color?
I don’t have one!

5. Three of your own illustrations:





6. Your music?
Very eclectic. I listen to everything (except rap and heavy metal). In my studio I usually go for singer/songwriter or modern folk.

7. Your biggest achievement?
Hmm. That’s a toughie. The thing I’m most proud of, I think, is being known as a kind & friendly person. No awards or accolades or successes mean more than being kind.

8. Your biggest mistake?
That’s not so tough! Back when I started freelancing, I wish I’d had the confidence to negotiate for something near the going rate for illustration instead of taking whatever was offered. But we all have to start somewhere and I learned from it.

9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?
The Monster at the End of This Book starring loveable, furry old Grover. It’s a great book.

10. Your main character trait?
Cheerful.

11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?
Honesty and authenticity.

12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?
When someone gets it wrong but they tried their best.

13. Your favorite children's book hero?
Anne Shirley. Probably because I identified with her so strongly. Just like Anne, I was always dreaming, using extravagant words, and leaping before I thought it through.

14. What moves you forward?
A great idea. And more practically, the need to pay my bills is great incentive!

15. What holds you back?
Procrastination. It’s always in the background waiting to strike.

16. Your dream of happiness?
Right now, it’s a whole week of doing nothing but going for hikes with the poodles, reading, writing, drawing, and sleeping as late as I want to. Can we make it two weeks? It’s been a crazy, hectic year.

17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?
There are too many! One of my favorite illustrators is Erin Stead. Her work is brilliantly expressive, gently detailed, full of heart.

18. What super power would you like to have?
The ability to make time stand still. Or time travel. Either would come in handy.

19. Your motto?
“Always look on the bright side of life.” (Borrowed from Monty Python.)

20. Your social media?
Instagram: @melissa.bailey.illustrates
Web: http://www.melissabaileyillustrates.com

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us a new spring blog banner, Melissa! I've enjoyed your artwork on Instagram for awhile now, and it's nice to learn more about you in this interview. (I hear you with taxes and procrastination!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kristin! I love your posts on Instagram, too, especially the ones starring your fur babies!

      Delete
  2. I love your illustrations! You sound like a happy, loving person, someone I would like to know. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the new blog banner, Melissa! Reminds me of those days when we were kids and rainy days were fun, not dreary! Beautiful use of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Dana! Exactly so -- why NOT have fun in puddles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa - I'm really enjoying your blog banner and questionnaire answers! Good to hear more about you. Your pups look cute too! Hiking and sleeping in does sound absolutely yummy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara! Yep, the pups are too cute for their own good and I think that I'm gonna make the week/fortnight staycation of hiking and lazing and sleeping in happen. It's needed!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love your banner Melissa! And loved getting to know you on this post. Your honest answers to these questions are heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ashley! You're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete