Friday, July 6, 2018

Featured Illustrator Darrin Brege







MEET DARRIN

This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.



1. Your present state of mind?
Very focused of late…on projects, deadlines, and direction.

2. What do you do best?
Make people laugh.

3. Where would you like to live?
The Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disneyworld.

4. Your favorite color?
Black…although, technically a tone.

5. Three of your own illustrations:













































6. Your music?
Classic Rock…Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Beatles

7. Your biggest achievement?
The fact that I get to do art for a living, do comedy with my wife and together we have a wonderful son.

8. Your biggest mistake?
Listening to my dad and wasting time by choosing a path to pre-med instead of art school in college. I did end up moving to an economics major and received my BA from Albion College (Go Brits). After graduation, I immediately moved to LA to study animation, and although I’m proud of my degree, I wish I would’ve gotten it in art or animation.

9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?
Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Suess.

10. Your main character trait?
Kindness

11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?
A shared sense of humor.

12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?
Honest mistakes that can be used as a learning opportunity…. either that, or a botched movie quote.

13. Your favorite children's book hero?
Mick Morris. He’s the main character in our Mick Morris Myth Solver book series (my wife, Karen Bell-Brege is the author and I illustrate). His mannerisms are loosely based on our son, Mick, and I illustrate him based on how he looked at ten. Mick is determined, funny, thoughtful, and fearless.

14. What moves you forward?
Creating as a husband and wife team - always striving to take our creations to the next level, and ultimately having our readers and fans love our stories!  We love inspiring kids to read, and especially getting them to laugh.

15. What holds you back?
Time!  We have so many things on our plate, that it’s hard to get to everything.

16. Your dream of happiness?
Karen and I continuing to work together in all of our creative endeavors and our son doing the same in whatever drives or motivates him.

17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?
Walt Disney.

18. What super power would you like to have?
It’d be wonderful to temporarily replicate to double, or triple up on any task. I’d be able to get a lot of painting done…or at least be able to fold clothes quicker. Or, Karen & I would be able to go off to Florida, and let my double handle everything.

19. Your motto?
Do what you love…it’ll never feel like work.

20. Your social media? 
Instagram:  @karenanddarrin
Facebook:  Karen & Darrin Author & Illustrator
Book website:  MonsterMyths.com
Art website:  darrinbrege.com


10 comments:

  1. Great to see you here, Darrin, and thank you for creating a new summer blog banner for our SCBWI-MI chapter! Thank you Nina for coordinating all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great banner, Darrin! I have met you before, I believe at Great Lakes comic con. I love your work! And that would be a very useful superpower, I could get a lot more done in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! Thanks for creating our banner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure, Kristin. Thank you and Nina for the opportunity! Very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun banner Darrin! You and Karen are such a great team, I admire that! I had no idea you were on track for pre-med. Glad you figured out your path - there is no question this is definitely where you belong. 🙌

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the unexpected and inclusive :) banner, Darrin! You artists are so clever. Thanks for sharing your time with the Mitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun interview and loved a couple hints of Disney in here. We would get along great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darrin. Mike here. It's been a long time. Email me at mike.john.joyce@gmail

    ReplyDelete