Friday, June 22, 2018

From Writing Retreat to Contract: A Timely Immigration Picture Book Finds a Home, Polar Bear Island by Lindsay Bonilla

In 2016 I saw a post on Facebook promoting SCBWI Michigan's Fall Retreat – the Nights of the Roundtable. I was immediately intrigued by the retreat's unique format – the opportunity to work with an editor and get feedback on multiple manuscripts from other writers in a small group setting sounded amazing. I also loved the fact that you had to to submit a writing sample in order to attend.

But I was five months pregnant and the retreat center was over eight hours away from my home! Still, I decided to apply. When I received word that I'd been selected, I immediately sought out a ride and room share. I was grateful to find both with Heidi Sheffield.

From the moment I arrived, I felt so welcome. I loved participating in the open mic on the first evening and felt buoyed by the laughter and positive comments I received afterward. I immediately clicked with my small group. Their feedback on my manuscripts was both encouraging and empowering. As the mother of a young toddler, I also relished the time for uninterrupted writing that the retreat provided.

I debated about which manuscript I wanted to share during my session with editor Brett Duquette. Ultimately, I landed on Polar Bear Island, the story of Kirby, an adventurous penguin, and Parker, a grumpy polar bear who wants to keep his island exclusively for bears. I'd been working on this manuscript for some time but had shelved it. A few months prior to the conference, I'd decided it was time to get it back out.

Brett's feedback on my manuscript was spot-on. That evening I could barely sleep as I worked and re-worked certain lines and ideas in my head. After the conference, I made some more tweaks before sending it off to Brett. 

In less than a month, Brett called to say he was taking it to his editorial board. By Christmas, it had passed the sales board, and I had an offer. I was over the moon! By mid-January I had secured an agent to represent me as I moved forward with the offer.

Throughout this process I have been convinced that Brett is the perfect editor for this project. I couldn't be more pleased with his passion for the book, his careful consideration of how the text could be construed on many different levels (something so important given the topic!), and the choice of Cinta Villalobos, a Barcelona-based artist, to illustrate. After all, I met my Colombian husband while living in Spain, and without my experiences there and the very personal way that my life has been impacted by immigration, Polar Bear Island would never have been written.

Polar Bear Island is scheduled to release October 2, 2018, and is available now for preorder at Amazon, Barnes & Noble or from your local indie bookstore.

Thank you SCBWI Michigan for being the catalyst for my book's publication journey. I'm anxiously awaiting another Roundtable Retreat in the near future. If anyone asks, I will tell them it is well worth the eight hour drive!

Lindsay Bonilla is a professional storyteller known for her high-energy interactive programs based on folktales from around the world. When she's not teaching workshops or telling stories, she's busy writing her own or acting them out with her kids. Lindsay's love for travel has taken her to five continents, but most days she can be found at home in Ohio with her husband, sons and their rescue dog, Blitzen. Visit lindsaybonilla.com.



SCBWI-MI's 2018 Fall Retreat is a joint effort with SCBWI-Indiana. Save the date: October 5-7, 2018. Learn more here, and get ready for registration to open on August 1st. More information will be emailed to SCBWI-MI members. Follow our Facebook page for updates and reminders.

Thanks to Sara Kendall for creating the retreat logo. Learn more about her process here.







Can't wait until the fall? Capital City Writers Association is sponsoring a free picture book workshop in July at Schuler Books in Okemos, MI.


From CCWA: Kristin Roskifte is a Norwegian illustrator and author. She has published eight picture books with topics like crowds, surreal dream homes, queueing, and animals with body issues. Kristin never leaves the house without a sketchbook and the result is an extensive library of captured moments, thoughts, ideas, patterns, plans, quotes, hopes and dreams. In her workshop, Kristin will share examples from her sketchbook library and discuss tips and tricks on how to bring your ideas to the page. Join us for this fun and informative workshop! Everyone is welcome!

Don't forget about our monthly SCBWI-MI Shop Talks. The Ann Arbor Shop Talk is tomorrow and will focus on Voice. Sondra Soderborg will share some excellent material that she learned at the Highlight's Foundation workshops.

Sondra writes:
Voice is the tool I find most helpful and most elusive. In this meet up, we will talk about voice, read some great examples and then do one or two exercises to practice writing with distinct and genuine voice.

When and Where:
Saturday, June 23, 10 AM - noon
Ann Arbor District Library Downtown Branch
323 South Fifth Ave
Ann Arbor MI 48104
3rd floor freespace meeting room


Happy creating!
Kristin Lenz

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your debut picture book, Lindsey! That's an awesome how I became published story. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, we are over the moon for you! This is exactly what we hope our members can experience and you've made us so proud. Enjoy every moment of your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fabulous! A huge congratulations to you, Lindsey on your picture book!

    ReplyDelete