Friday, October 20, 2017

A 5-Week Picture Book Writing Course, Lessons Learned by Kathy Steck

New and experienced writers often ask about quality workshops to improve their craft. SCBWI offers a variety of conferences, local Shop Talks, and webinars, but there are also a number of industry professionals (authors, agents, editors) who run their own workshops, in-person and online. These are not SCBWI endorsed classes, but our members have had some great experiences and benefited from these additional opportunities. Kathy Steck offered to share her experience with an online/interactive picture book class through The Children's Book Academy.

Here's Kathy:

I first stumbled into the world of children’s picture book writing when my daughter fell off the monkey bars, broke her arm, and needed surgery. After journaling to her since before she was born, I needed to write while sitting next to her hospital bed. Out came my heart onto the page. Everyone loved it. I wanted to get it published.

I had so much to learn.

I immersed myself in the world of SCBWI: joined local chapters, attended conferences, joined critique groups. I paid for critiques, read books, and learned whatever, wherever I could. But I still struggled to get published. I put my manuscripts away and worked on an adult novel. Until…

http://www.childrensbookacademy.com/

… I came across a 5-week course on Writing Children's Picture Books through the Children’s Book Academy with Mira Reisberg and Julia Maguire. I resurrected my most promising picture book manuscript and set out to finally get it right. Previously, PEE BEFORE YOU GO had failed to get an interested editor or agent. This class was my chance to finally flush out why, and understand what was and wasn’t working.

I started from the beginning, analyzing my story in light of the lessons.
  • Who is my character? 
  • What does she want? 
  • Where is the emotion? 

I submitted my pitch to the weekly webinars eager to get feedback. You’d be amazed how effective a critique of a 60-word synopsis can be, to not only focus your pitch, but to get to the heart of your story. What is my character’s journey?

I also benefitted from a one-on-one critique, which pointed out the biggest problem with my manuscript—making sure it was not didactic (preachy). I realized that that was what editors were seeing. Kids need to be their own heroes and solve their own problems.

I wrestled with the illustrator’s notes. Include them or not include them. Feedback from guest editors (from major publishing houses) indicated that they are okay if they describe action not included in the text. But don’t describe how a picture should be drawn (ie, a pink dress) unless it’s critical to the story. In my story, there are visual triggers that drive the protagonist to act. And illustrator’s notes are particularly helpful when the action contradicts the text.

Now that the class has come to its end (though it really hasn’t ended, thanks to bonus lessons, and follow-up materials, and the connection to the community of writers who participated in the class), I’m excited to start submitting. First, I get to submit my pitch to the panel of agents and editors from the course who have agreed to consider our stories.

But I won’t stop there. I will use the lessons on writing your query/cover letter and cast a wide net. And I will go forth with confidence after learning from one of the editors that just because one editor didn’t like the story for a certain reason, doesn’t mean all editors have the same problem with it. For example, an editor from a major publishing house in CA, didn’t like how my story took place in snow. It caused me to change course. But my critique editor said there are plenty of people who do live in snow regions that would still give the book a wide audience. So, now that I have a stronger, more focused story, I’m ready. Everyone please say a prayer or cross your fingers for me. And keep an eye out for my picture book, PEE BEFORE YOU GO.

P.S.  By the way, The Children’s Book Academy also has classes on Illustrating, Chapter Books, Middle Grade, and more.

Kathy Steck has been a member of SCBWI for more than fifteen years and is humbled by the generosity of this community. She’s continually inspired by her two strong-willed daughters (and strong-willed husband) who provide endless story ideas. 













Improve your craft:

Numerous options exist and we've covered some of them here on the Mitten blog before.
See Angie Kidd's review of Lisa Cron's book WIRED FOR STORY.

And Sondra Soderborg's experience learning about voice in a workshop with Patti Lee Gauch at the Highlights Foundation.

Patti will also be teaching an upcoming workshop with author Gary Schmidt: https://www.whalerockworkshops.com/

Check out the classes offered at the Writing Barn, managed by award-winning author and VCFA alum Bethany Hegedus.

Do you have a book on craft or a class to recommend? Please let us know in the comments. Or we'd love to learn more about your experience through a blog post here on the Mitten. Submission guidelines are here.

And of course, there are so many opportunities through SCBWI and our MI Chapter. The SCBWI Annual Winter Conference in New York is February 2-4, 2018, and registration opens next week on October 24th. They're changing the format to feature intensive masterclass workshops and registration will be limited. Get ready! Registration info will be here on October 24th at 10am Pacific time.
https://www.scbwi.org/events/19th-annual-scbwi-winter-conference-in-new-york-ny18/

Coming up on the Mitten Blog: Come back next Friday for a recap of our fall conference. The following week, Charlie Barshaw will interview one of our Michigan members for our quarterly Writer Spotlight feature. Who will it be? In November, we'll have social media and marketing tips, the making of a book trailer, another Michigan KidLit Advocate, and more. Stay tuned!


5 comments:

  1. So many helpful details shared here. Thank you Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Kathy. Great information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your insights. You learned in a 5-week course what usually takes years! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Kathy for your kind words. It was a treat having you in the course as well and I can't wait to celebrate with you one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kathy! It sounds like you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete