This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.
1. Your present state of mind?
Kind of sleepy, actually.
2. What do you do best?
Draw expressive characters with odd noses.
3. Where would you like to live?
Near friends in a tiny house on the beach.
4. Your favorite color?
Lavender. And also gray.
5. Three of your own illustrations:
6. Your music?
I’m currently listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas album. It doesn’t even need to be Christmas to enjoy this thing, turns out.
7. Your biggest achievement?
My first picture book, because it opened a door to a lovely career and meeting my closest amazing soulmate friends.
8. Your biggest mistake?
Equating busyness with progress.
9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?
Sneeches, by Dr. Seuss.
10. Your main character trait?
Playfulness. But in, like, a badass way.
11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?
A great, loud sense of humor and a knack for comfortable silences.
12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?
The ones for which you’re asked forgiveness.
13. Your favorite children's book hero?
Matilda. What a badass.
14. What moves you forward?
A willingness to fail big.
15. What holds you back?
16. Your dream of happiness?
Being present. Another version involves swimming in Lake Michigan with someone I love and also there’s pie.
17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?
Quentin Blake? That is a tough question. This could be a 400-person list.
18. What super power would you like to have?
19. Your motto?
We Are No Longer Impostors And We’re Good At What We Do
20. Your social media?