Friday, July 3, 2015

Featured Illustrator Jennifer Scott










MEET JENNIFER



This questionnaire goes back to a popular parlor game in the early 1900s. Marcel Proust filled it out twice. Some of our questions were altered from the original to gain more insight into the hearts and minds of our illustrators. We hope you enjoy this way of getting to know everybody.



1. Your present state of mind? 

Anticipation. I have been working for a long time on various projects. I feel that something is about to happen and I hope that it will be soon! 
 
2. What do you do best?

Currently (and two years ago I never thought I would say this) ... people! I love drawing people. I also enjoy drawing sea monsters. 
 
3. Where would you like to live?

I would like to continue visiting many exciting and adventurous places, but I enjoy living in Michigan. 
 
4. Your favorite color?

All tones, hues, and tints of blue.

5. Three of your own illustrations: 





 
6. Your music?

When I work, I listen to classical guitar or rainymood.com. If I am not working, I love top 40 and 90s music! 
 
7. Your biggest achievement?

Years ago I decided to quit my full time day job, get a bunch of different odd jobs and go back to get my degree in fine art and graphic design. I am not sure how much I slept. I am pretty sure I got more than one injury from various cutting tools and sharp implements. I am positive that was the best choice I could have ever made. I hope to go back again someday. 
 
8. Your biggest mistake?

Chickening out at portfolio day for art schools at age 17. My portfolio wasn’t fancy, or large compared with everyone else’s. I listened to one pretty positive critique from a Cincinnati Art Academy professor, felt way out of my element, and went directly home.
 
9. Your favorite children's book when you were a child?

Picture Book: Miss Suzy by Miriam Young, Chapter Book: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis.
 
10. Your main character trait?

Creative (followed closely by humorous). 
 
11. What do you appreciate most in a friend?

Loyalty, humor, understanding, and a willingness to forgive.
 
12. What mistakes are you most willing to forgive?

Forgiveness is essential in life.
 
13. Your favorite children's book hero?

I’ve always loved the heros of Roald Dahl’s books, in particular, Matilda. I grew up with more than a few Mrs. Trunchbulls while in grade school and finally experienced my own Ms. Honey in fifth grade. She was such an important teacher to me and even came to my wedding! I also identified with Matilda’s strong will, hopeful attitude, and kind heart.
 
14. What moves you forward?

Ideas
 
15. What holds you back?

Real life
 
16. Your dream of happiness?

Buying and remodeling the run down house at the end of my street into an artists’ studio and gallery. Also reading in a hammock all day.
 
17. The painter/illustrator you admire most?

Painter: Mary Cassat Illustrator: Jago
 
18. What super power would you like to have?

To stop and start time just like girl in the late 80s TV series, Out of This World. When I was younger I would have used my power for good. Now, however, I may just use that power to take naps.
 
19. Your motto?
Dream big and dream often, but don’t stop there. Make a plan and go for it! 

20. Your social media?
Instagram: jennyescott Twitter: @jennyem1 website: jennyescott.com

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! So nice to see Jennifer's work and learn more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Jennifer! I love the new blog banner you created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful illustrations, Jennifer! :-)

    ReplyDelete