Welcome to SCBWI-MI's Book Birthday Blog!
Where we celebrate new books from Michigan's authors, illustrators and translators.
Congratulations to Mary Zychowicz on the release of Little Buddy
How did you come up with the idea for your book?
I grew up on a farm. In fact, I learned to drive a tractor before I learned to drive a car! When my father retired he still kept his little blue tractor. When he passed away, the tractor sat in the shed and began to deteriorate. Try as we might to have it fixed, we just could not get it running. As I drove past the shed one day, I thought about the tractor. I remembered when my dad bought it and I started to imagine how that tractor felt, going from being busy and useful to having no work. Those thoughts, and what happened with the tractor after that is what inspired the story for Little Buddy. So, it’s loosely based on a true story.
What is something you hope your readers will take away from your book?
I hope readers are reminded that even when things change in their lives, maybe a move, or a loss of some kind, there is hope in the new things that follow. Little Buddy had a good life going through the seasons, working with loving Farmer Art. But something happened and all that changed. What looked like a sad ending for Little Buddy turns into a new beginning.
What are your marketing plans for the book and where can we find it?
It will be available in bookstores and online August 4th! I’m also in the process of planning a book launch, hopefully in September. I’ll be putting out flyers and postcards with the details on my social media platforms.
What's next for you?
I have a few other picture book manuscripts that I’m polishing up right now and I plan on submitting them soon!
More about the book . . .
Little Buddy is delighted when Farmer Art chooses him from all the tractors on the lot. Together, they work hard to take care of the farm throughout the seasons. But one winter morning, after a long, cold, snowy night, Farmer Art doesn't come to start Little Buddy's engine. Time passes, and Little Buddy begins to deteriorate and feels forgotten until a familiar visitor from the past shows up, giving him new hope.
Published by: Lawley Publishing
More about the author . . .
Mary grew up on a farm in Michigan where she loved summer days, playing with ‘pet’ calves in the barn, or sitting under a shade tree with a stack of books. After college she worked as a speech pathologist in the school system. When she became a mom and a Grammy, she saw the joy a good book brought to her daughter and grandchildren. She has been writing picture books since 2016, hoping to inspire and delight other children. Mary currently lives in Michigan with her husband. She still loves cows and everything farm-related, as well as reading, sewing, and gardening. Little Buddy is her debut picture book.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Writingfortikes/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/maryzychowicz/
Website: https://www.maryzychowicz.com/


And those beautiful memories now live on in the pages of LITTLE BUDDY.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your book!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Mary! What a lovely and reassuring story!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Mary! Little Buddy is such a lovely and heartfelt story. So glad it is out in the world for all to enjoy!
ReplyDelete